Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Windmill

The Domesday Book in 1086 recorded in Rushden: There was a mill at 10 shillings and a meadow of 30 acres.

About 1885 the Mill that stood in Windmill Road area was demolished, and some of the wood used to make a staircase and porch at 10 Church Street.

No 10 Church Street - Oak Lodge - built about 1885

Extract from a 1951 newsclip: “In another two years the house in Church Street, Oak Lodge – with its staircase and porch made from the oak from the Windmill mentioned in Domesdaye Book – was in the market, and father bought that and across the drive erected a retail shop with a workshop behind.

The mill house survived and in 1894 a Working Men's Club was opened in the premises. Four years later they built a new club on the site and has an impression of a windmill in the date stone:

The old mill house.
The old mill house

Windmill club datestone
The Old Windmill Club built in 1898

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us