Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Rushden Cottage
Rushden Cottage
Rushden Cottage (rear) - a photograph by Mr H Sartoris in 1861
Rushden Cottage behind the trees
Rushden Cottage is behind the trees in this picture from 1905, before the boundary wall was demolished for road widening.

Sale in 1831

Extract from a Note Book of J E Smith

The Tunnards of Rushden

George Edward Downe, Clerk & Elizabeth Tunnard of this Parish by licence 21st Dec 1836. In the presence of Jane Charlotte Tunnard & John Tunnard (Church register).

Note: G Downe was the Rector of Rushden & the Tunnards lived at “The Cottage” a good house & grounds stood opposite Queen Street where Poole’s Picture shop is & Woolworths Bazaar (new). Yards the Florists have made a shop out of part of the Coach-house belonging to the “Cottage”, the old “Sun-Dial” is still on the old Coach-house. March 19 1926 J E Smith.

11 March 1871 - 08 April 1871 - Northampton Mercury 

TO BE LET, and entered upon at Lady Day next, RUSHDEN COTTAGE, containing Dining, Drawing, and Breakfast Rooms, Smoking Rooms, Library, and Entrance Hall, six good Bedrooms, six Servants' Rooms, and suitable Out-offices, Stables, Good Kitchen Garden sloping to the south, Green House, lower Garden, and shrubberies. The whole containing about four Acres. Rushden Cottage situated about three miles from the Higham Ferrers Station, on the London and North Western Railway and Irchester.

Mr Henry Haslope Bagnall lived here in 1874/77. He was born on 30 March 1844 and was the son of Thomas Bagnall and Caroline Haslope. In 1881 he was living at Pytchley, near Kettering.

Wellingborough News, 6th May 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

Messrs. Stafford and Rogers

HAVE received instructions from the Hon. C. W. W. Fitzwilliam, to SELL BY AUCTION, on Thursday, May 11, 1882, at the Wagon and Horses Inn, Rushden, at Three for Four o'clock in the Afternoon, a FAMILY RESIDENCE, known as Rushden Cottage, together with Large Garden and Stables, containing 6,440 square yards (or thereabouts); now in the occupation of Campbell Praed, Esq.

The House contains dining room 20ft. by 17ft., drawing room 16ft. by 19ft., small ditto, study, front hall with conservatory, servants' hall, butler's pantry, kitchen, and the usual domestic offices, 8 bedrooms, day and night nurseries, 2 dressing rooms, 2 W.C.'s, stablings with lofts over, 4 loose boxes and 1 stall, 2 coach houses, harness room, with Groom's Cottage and other Outbuildings.

Possession can be had at Michaelmas Next.

Further particulars may be obtained of Messrs. FRERE, FOSTER, & Co., Solicitors, 28, Lincoln's Inn Fields, London, W.C., at the Wagon and Horses Inn, Rushden; or of the AUCTIONEERS, Bedford, and Chellington, near Bedford.

Wellingborough News, 20th May 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

PROPERTY SALE—"Rushden Cottage," with its extensive grounds, the property of the Hon. C. W. Fitzwilliam, M.P., for several years in the occupation of Mr. H. W. Currie, and at present occupied by Mr. Campbell Praed, was put up for sale by auction by Messrs. Stafford and Rogers, on the 11th inst., at the Wagon and Horses Inn, Rushden. The "Cottage," stabling, and 6,640 square yards of land, were bought by Mr. Cave for £1,600; a tool and store house, overlooking a portion of the grounds, being bought by Mr. Higgins for £71. Lots 1 to 4, containing 1,231 yards, were bought by Mr. G. Denton for £152; lots 5 and 6, 780 yards, by Mr. H. Skinner, for £86; lot 7, 535 yards, by Mr. C. Sanders, for £56; lots 8 to 11, 1,220 yards, by Mr. Cave, for £165; lots 12 and 13, 675, by Mr. Cox, for £58; lots 14 and 15, 642 yards, by Mr. W. Spencer, for £57; lots 25 and 26, 556 yards, by Mr. Edwin Knight, for £69. The remaining lots, covering over an acre of ground, were withdrawn. Lots 27 and 28 were afterwards privately bought by Mr. G. Perkins, for the Rushden Tradesmen's Club, for £91; and lots 5, 6, and 7 were subsequently re-sold to Mr. Cave. Two cottages in Duck-street, the property of Mr. C. Praed, were sold at the close of the above auction to Mr. John Wood, for £200. The auction was a fairly spirited one, the auctioneers being evidently well satisfied with the results.

Wellingborough News, 19th August 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

Within 1½ Miles of the Irchester and Higham Ferrers Railway Stations.

Messrs. Stafford and Rogers
HAVE been favoured with instructions from the Honourable C. W. W. Fitzwilliam, M.P., to Sell by Auction, on Thursday, Sept. 7, and following day, if necessary, at Ten for Eleven punctually, the whole of the Valuable and Modern HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE, including the contents of Dining Room, Drawing Room, Library, and Hall, viz.:—Ornamental iron sideboard with marble slab, mahogany ditto, telescope dining, walnut oval, card, Sutherland, and library tables, conversational sofa and chairs en suite, lounge chairs and 8 spring seat ditto en suite, a 4ft. mahogany dinner wagon, Turkey, Brussels, and other carpets and hearthrugs, window curtains, brass picture rods, banner screens on brass tripod stands, steel fenders and fire implements, &c.; the Contents of 13 Bed and Dressing Rooms, including handsome brass half-tester and iron bedsteads, feather bolsters and pillows, wool and hair mattresses, blankets, Marseilles and other counterpanes, japanned suites, toilet sets, baths, &c.; Kitchen Requisites and Outdoor Effects, together with about 112 DOZEN OF WINES (a choice selection), comprising 12 doz. Chateau Margaux, 1870; 48 doz. Leoville Lascases, 1868 and 1870; 9 doz. Duhart Castija, 1865; 10 doz Madeira; 12 doz. Gruaud Larose, 1865; 18 doz. Sherry, and 3 doz. Port; samples of which will be produced at the time of sale.

Goods on view the day before the sale.

Admission by Catalogues, which may be obtained of the Auctioneers, Bedford, and Chellington near Bedford.

Rushden Echo, 17th August 1900, transcribed by Kay Collins

A Garden Party at Rushden – A Brilliant Gathering

A delightfully pleasant scene was witnessed yesterday afternoon and evening in the charming grounds of “The Cottage,” the residence of Mr. John Cave, on the occasion of a garden party held on behalf of the new Baptist Chapel building fund. The atmospheric conditions were ideal, the continuous sunshine being tempered by a delightful breeze, and the grounds presented an animated appearance, the large company which assembled—including the representatives of perhaps every church in the town—entering into the various amusements with evident zest. Truth to tell, the good folks in their gay attire had fully resolved to make the best of a lovely day, a charming spot, and a constant succession of pastimes, and the enjoyment was unmarred. [part of a longer article]

sun dial
Sun dial from the stables at 'The Cottage'

1897 in Mr Cave's orchard
Postcard (right) is captioned:
'Jubilee Service in Mr Cave's Orchard'

Rushden Echo, 31st August 1900,

The New Baptist Chapel Fund
will benefit to the amount of about £20 through the recent garden fete at “The Cottage”.

Rushden Echo, 27th August 1909

AN UNUSUAL SIGHT is to be witnessed in the orchard of the Cottage at the present time, an apple tree, which is bearing a large quantity of fruit, having also on its branches a considerable amount of bloom.

In 1918 Mr & Mrs G H Clark were living at "The Cottage".

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Land, Property & Tax index
Click here to e-mail us