Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Sanders' Lodge
Later known as Grange Farm or Rushden Grange

front view
Sanders' Lodge front view

Thomas Sanders was born in 1826 at Higham Ferrers, and he had married Ann Shelton (daughter of Thomas Shelton, butcher, and Martha). He worked in his father's currying business, on the corner opposite the old Rushden and Higham toll gate house, at the boundary of the two parishes. The business was devastated in a fire in 1882, but was soon rebuilt, and Thomas entertained his employees to a dinner in his "new warehouse". In 1890 he added another new warehouse as his business flourished. In 1896 and 1902 he was Mayor at Higham Ferrers.

In 1881 the family was living at Prospect House on Higham Hill, and Thomas was a "currier employing 35 men and 4 boys, and a farmer of 292 acres employing 8 men and 3 boys". He farmed at Rushden Grange, (formerly Tailby's Lodge), later known as Sanders' Lodge, and suffered a haystack fire there in 1882 and again in 1890.

the farm 1901 map
Detail showing Rushden Grange in 1901, formerly Sanders' Lodge (left) and the Brick and Tile works and top centre is Skew Bridge across the railway.
The map above right - with Sanders' Lodge (mid left edge), and The Moors (right above centre). The railway diagonally, Kimbolton Road (now Northampton Road) from the farm towards Higham, Hayway junction (top right corner). Below the railway is Wellingborough Road leading to Rushden. The area fronting the farm is now Sanders' Lodge Industrial Estate.

Northampton Mercury, 21st Sept 1844

Rushden Lodge, Northamptonshire

To Be Sold By Auction

By Mr. Pendered

By direction of the Executors of the late Mr. W. Marshall, of Ditchford Mill, upon the premises, at Rushden Lodge adjoining the Turnpike Road leading from Irchester to Higham Ferrers), on Monday September 20th 1844.

The Valuable Live Farming Stock, Farming Implements, and some other Effects.

Consisting of 100 ewes and theaves, 40 shearhogs, 80 lambs, four in-calf milking cows, three sturks, two calves, four good cart horses, three cart mares, handsome bay pony, quiet in harness, four-years-old; small black pony, three-years-old; seven sets of horse harness, narrow-wheeled wagon, two broad-wheel carts, one narrow-wheel cart, excellent sociable, on springs; field roll, winnowing machine (by Blackwell), forks, rakes, sieves, and general barn tackle, bean mill, corn screen, corn drags, chaff box, two horse cribs, two cow cribs, lead horse trough, eight sheep cribs, sheep and pig troughs, three pair of barrows, two large barrows, two wheel ploughs, two swing ploughs, long and short ladders, about 12 dozen hurdles, and two dozen of trays, wagon cloth, quantity of sacks, pair of steps, and some other effects.

Also a quantity of Brewing Vessels, &c.

Sale to commence at Eleven o’clock.

The above Stock will be found worthy the attention of purchasers.


Northampton Mercury, 01 November 1845

Wellingborough Petty Sessions: Moses Wooding & Sanders Wooding, of Wymington, labourers, were charged, on the information of John Cooke, Esq., of Rushden Grange, with committing a trespass in pursuit of game on Sunday the 2nd. ult., on land in the occupation R. Robinson, of the ......


Wellingborough News, 20th July 1878, transcribed by Kay Collins

ACCIDENTS
Last week, Wm. Allen, whilst engaged loading hay for Mr. T. Sanders, in a field near Rushden Moors, slipped and fell to the ground, sustaining serious injuries.

From a note book of J.E.Smith

1916 Sale of Rushden “Grange Farm”
Consisting of 124 acres 1 rood 21 poles
66 acres 25 poles Rich Pasture

Farm is Freehold except about 23 acres 2 roods 32 poles which is Copyhold of the Manor of Rushden.

Pasture
32-0-19
Pasture
11-0-36
Pasture
3-3-36
Pasture
7-2-13
Pasture
6-3-3
Farm-yard
2-0-8
Pasture
4-1-29
Arable
24-1-27
Arable
17-2-25
Arable
14-1-1

Total 124-1-25
Nene Navigation and Outfall


Taxes £12-14-4
Quit Rent £0-3-3½
Land Tax 1915 £1-17-6

The above Farm was sold at Wellingborough in September 1916 to Rushden Co-operative Society. It belonged to Mrs Parsons of Irthlingborough and was kept (i.e. at present) by Mr Parsons Junior [Len - see Irchester sale 1917] who married a pupil of mine from Newton (Miss Harris). It made £4,000.

Title to property Indenture dated 18th March 1897 between Thomas Sanders of one part & Charles Joseph Keep, Wollaston, Adam Corrie Keep & Nathaniel Pearce Sharman of other part.

Notes on the plan:
To Ditchford Station - River Nen - Railway to Higham - Road from Wellingborough to Higham - Farm House - 2 cottages - to Rushden.


the farm buildings
the junction
Above: Detail of the farm buildings






Left: the Junction


1964 photo by A J George


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Land, Property & Tax index
Click here to e-mail us