Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Victoria Buildings
Built in 1888

Victoria Buildings
No.
High Street
1
118a
2
118
3
116
4
114
5
112
shop in 2020
118a to 112 High Street - built in 1888
Photo taken in 2020

Like most of Rushden, the land was formerly farm land. This area was owned by George Denton, of Denton shoe manufacturers, and he sold it in the late 1880s.

Extract from Memories of 1890s by JEM:

Approaching Rushden from Higham Ferrers, 50 years ago, one passed a few cottages, known as "The Rookery," before coming to Mason's Farm, which was situated where the Victoria Hotel now stands. Then there was Denton's Farm, the original farmhouse having stood until recently. Laughton's Farm was where Queen-street now runs, and finally there was Smith's Farm standing where Griffith-street now is.

The plot was purchased by Wallis Wilkerson, possibly the first chemist or druggist to trade here. He built the row of 5 shops with living accommodation above, and moved into No. 118a, the corner property, in 1888. [Note the entrance was in Victoria Road, so perhaps originally this was part of Victoria Road.]

Within a year the row was badly damaged in a fire, (which had started at 110 High Street, although un-numbered at that time). It must have been repaired quite soon after as W J Sedgman, tailor was trading there and is mentioned in 1891 Industries of Rushden. [that gives the name of the row]

A court case 1892 was in dispute with Harry Knight who had drawn the plans for the rebuilding.

Occupiers of the shops traced are :


Wallis Wilkerson - 1888
118a
Johnson & Co - 1906

C A Hedley - 1908 - at 92 by 1914

Billy Keller - 1920

Jim Osborne - 1965

Possibly not as part of High Street until 1906?

1922 Advert Rushden Echo
George Jordan - 1888

B Wall - c1895

J & C Robinson - 1897 - 1912

E & E Neal - 1913

J J Page - 1925 - c1940

Jim Osborne - 1955


114
Mr & Mrs Seymour - 1890

J J Clark - c1902

116

Fuller & Stanton 1894-98

Charles Stanton c1903

Horace Wm Ellingham c1904 - 1924

E & E Neal 1924

Elsie Buttling 1928 - 1985

Jim Osborne - 1985>

112
Thomas Ward - 1890

J T Colson - 1906

Frederick Sutton - 1910

Sydney Payne - 1924




Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Land, Property & Tax index
Click here to e-mail us