Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

The White House
Grove Road
"The White House"

Water colour of the White House - rear elevation

Rushden Echo, 18th August 1916, transcribed by Gill Hollis

The wounded soldiers at the Higham Ferrers V.A.D. Hospital were entertained yesterday at The White House, Rushden, by Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Knight. The soldiers were accompanied by Mrs. T. Patenall (Mayoress of Higham Ferrers and matron of the hospital), Miss B. Patenall, Sister Greenwood, and Nurse Parker, and in the evening the Mayor of Higham Ferrers joined the party. Arrangements had been made for tea to be served on the lawn, but the heavy rains made this an impossibility, so the tea was partaken of indoors. The evening was spent in music, games, etc., and a very happy time was enjoyed by all.


Rushden Echo, 13th October 1916

The Winner of the competition held in connection with the recent Red Cross Fete for a satin eider down quilt kindly given by Mr. J. F. Knight, of the White House, Rushden, is Mr. H. Daniels, of Westfields, Higham Ferrers. The competition was supervised by Mr. H. H. Hobbs.

As a result of the competition the funds will be swelled by upwards of £10, including a donation of 5/0 from Mr. A. H. Sartoris. The draw took place on Saturday at Mr. George Miller’s shop, and the winning number was drawn from the churn by Miss Miller.

About 1940 Helen Wills was resident here.

The White House
Demolished and replaced with several houses - but when?


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Land, Property & Tax index
Click here to e-mail us