|The Rushden Echo and Argus, 10th March, 1950, transcribed by Gill Hollis
Hall Park Will Be Re-Planted - Flower Beds to Grace Avenue
Crocuses and celandines merging through the Spring sunshine into golden carpets over the Rushden Hall grounds have heralded yet another reformation at the town’s favourite park the rehabilitation of the grounds from their war-time devastation.
The old avenue of elms, at the base of which used to cluster thousands of daffodils, need no longer be mourned for its untimely death suffocated by the concrete bed of American Army transport. It is to have a new lease of life.
On either side of the road there will be two rows of cypresses and red chestnuts 70 in all to back up 17 flower beds containing, on both sides, 3,000 tulip and daffodil bulbs. The trees are from eight to ten feet high when they are dug in.
The flower beds will be laid to season, with grass verges. There will be additional seating, too.
Other improvements at the park are to include facilities for the kiddies and the bowling fraternity of the town.
A children’s playground is planned on the left-hand side of the Hall Avenue entrance and will contain £500 worth of equipment slides, a rocking horse, see-saw, merry-go-round and swings.
Two bowling greens will be laid out in what is at present known as the kitchen garden.
The restoration of the ground and planting, alone, will cost an estimated £2,900. The bulk of the money will come from the Government as compensation for war-time damage. The playground and bowling greens will be constructed at the Rushden Urban Council’s own expense.
Mr. C. Davenport, foreman in charge of the five men now working on the restoration for the London contractors, J. Burley and Sons, said that the work will include the setting of levels, then the excavation and make-up, and finally the road.