- Latest News
If you have trouble playing the sound clips - please try a different browser. If using Google then please try Bing.
- 15.07.2019 - New this time are:- more Council Meeting Reports, Health & Sanitary reports, the Independent Church at Wollaston, Street Re-numbering at Rushden and Higham, another 2 productions by the RATS, 8 obituaries, more emigration articles, and notes added to several pages under villages.
- 10.06.2019 - New this time a fire in 1899, an article about a soldier in Russia in WWI, additions to some street surveys, two obituaries, and two golden weddings, two more productions by the RATS, an article about new lighting at Wymington, plus some 1965 newsclips added to several exisiting pages.
- 01.05.2019 - An update on Rushden's only thatched building, some captions added to Temps Gallery, additions to Scouts, and 3 more RATS productions, 2 obituaries, Charlie Fathers and PC Lewis new in people, 4 obituaries for villages, plus the usual notes added to various pages of the website.
- 24.03.2019 - New this time the Jokers in Music in the 1960s, Freeman's Court, Robinson Crusoe, council meetings, some posters from 1960s-1970s, 2 bankruptcies, 2 obituaries, some WWII notes, and a fire and water drainage for Court Estate, plus a few minor additions to existing pages.
- 26.02.2019 - Our website is now 12 years old! Two more RATS productions, newsclips from 1947, 1963, 2000-2006 and some 2019 pictures are in this update. Pages on Hayway, Washbrook Road, Winslow, Scouts Band, 8 obituaries, 2 golden weddings, a fire, and Court Estate Players are new or have additions.
- 21.01.2019 - New this time school log book 1945-9, a will transcript 1848, more notes added to several street surveys, a 1937 trophy mug found in Wales, 1960 Shoetrade Directory, Davies Odell Ltd, a plaque at the War Memorial garden, notes about the church clock, arrival of a farm by train in 1939, and the completed index to WWII enlistments is all this update.
- 03.12.2018 - This month: There are notes added to several existing pages in most sections plus the another RATS production, 9 obituaries 3 weddings, and one emigration, some 1944/45 wartime awards and wartime notes, prisoners returning, a farm arriving by train, and some obituaries and notes under the villages section. [We still have no access to the local nespapers locally.] Do you have anything to add please?
- 30.11.2018 - New this time: Digging a Round Barrow 1906, Irchester Bridge re-opens, 1872 Schools Controversy and a few obituaries. At present we don't have access to newspapers locally. We are working only on what is coming in from outside sources - do you have anything to add please?
- 29.10.2018 - New this time: Bundle of newsclips from 1860s-1940s, a 1940 school photo, Rushden Lakes part 2, a plaque to BW Vann VC, 6 more Operatic Programmes, in People 19 obituaries and 15 wedding reports, a 1941 boot found, and in War section notes of the last few months of 1918 in WWI and 1945 in WWII. Also other notes are added in most sections this time, much from 1912, 1918 and 1945. Plus several items sent in by email.
- 24.09.2018 - New this time: "Quick Turn Over" and closure of Bantin, plus a few newsclips in commerce, more demolition and memories in history, Manor Farm in land, two 1988 shows by the Operatic and a rhyme by Len Elliott in leisure, the Fett family and Bernard Smith are new in people, pictures of Eatons in shoetrade, Naval service in War, Irchester Wheelers, and other notes are added in most sections this time.
- 30.08.2018 - Missed from the last update - some Court Estate Sales and a petrol licence 1968.
- 28.08.2018 - This time we have copied some old photographs and postcards so lots of new-to-us images are added. A 1908 fairground picture, a war shrine, and we could read some of the names, the Cave family at Rushden Cottage, and some sports pictures are amongst them. Several Operatic programmes and an article about the CYA and two more Walks are new in leisure. Information and a memorial picture via email has added to Percy Steel's page.
- 23.07.2018 - Lots of pictures this time thanks to donations from 3 collectors. Lots of pages have new pictures added, and some new research is included: 38 in commerce section, 10 in churches, 5 in education, 13 in history, about 30 in leisure, 12 in people, 6 in shoetrade, with a few in most other sections. So do check the pages you have interest in, just in case.....! Some sections have "unidentified pictures" too, so please let us know if you can help with any little clues!!
- 19.06.2018 - Much of this update is from 1918 or 1944 - Tribunals, a prisoner's experiences, in war soldiers', prisoners' notes, and 23 pages in commerce have additions. New pages include 28 obituaries, 3 fires, 4 accidents, a health report, 10 council meeting reports, housing, and some demolition, a street party in 2018, 2 new pages on village war memorials, plus notes added to lots of exisiting pages. Also a Patriotic Orchestra picture and John White's 1948 outing.
- 29.05.2018 - Most of this update concentrates on 1912. Many pages have new notes added. As well as accidents, adverts, bankruptcies, obituaries, weddings, emigration, sales, fires and leisure events. New pages about Drabble builders, a Station Road demolition, the Mission Church Organ and two street surveys.
- 17.04.2018 - New this time: An interesting interview in 1990 with Francis Leech, an article about the Oakley Arms, an article about Irchester Railway Bridge, additional pictures of 1960s carnival floats, more developments and the usual notes and additions to other pages.
- 04.03.2018 - New this time: a photograph of staff in 1968 at Rushden 'San' - 6 council meeting reports - snow in 1918 - 10 obituaries and 2 wedding reports - 20 additional notes to pages in the War section - an article about Snowdrop Weekend at Chelveston.
- 16.02.2018 - More newsclips, this time 1937 and 1901, giving updates to lots of existing pages in most sections. Also a new article about Typhoid at Higham and a page about the Jolley family and a page about Lego being 60.
- 01.01.2018 - Happy New Year! This time newsclips from 1917/18 have updated several pages for Village War Memorial Men, as well as news items, obituaries and wedding reports in Rushden and the villages. 1937 newsclips include an accident, some memories from 1850s, and an item on the closure of the old Red Lion or 19th Hole at Irchester make interesting reading.
- 12.12.2017 - Our team is somewhat depleted at present but two of us are still working! Not too much this update, but includes a family history on W B Skinner's Family, some new developments, and several new pages connected to Irchester War Memorial. Several notes from the newspapers are added to wartime 1917/18 and 1944, Tribunals 1917, plus the usual obituaries, weddings, and snippets added to exisiting pages.
- 02.11.2017 - An article on Electrification of the Railway, 6 more council meetings, 2 health reports, 4 obituaries, and 2 golden weddings make the bulk of this update. Minor additions to other pages include another bankruptcy, pictures of the guides, and various notes and snippets. [our team is somewhat depleted at present, owing to illnesses]
- 12.09.2017 - An article on AFC Rushden & Diamonds and Chemists are the main additions this time, plus a few snippets added to other pages. Next update is likely to be in November.
- 25.08.2017 - Some more interesting notes on Tollgates, and Rushden brook, and Bedford Road have been transcribed from J Enos Smith's note books. More news reports from 19217, 1933, 1944, includes council meeting, accidents, wedding reports, and WWII soldiers and war memorial men, obituaries etc.
- 19.07.2017 - Snippets and Tribunals from 1917, news reports from 1921, 1923, 1933, 1944, including more council meeting reports, accidents, leisure groups, wedding reports, 19 obituaries etc., and many notes for villages.
- 10.06.2017 - More snippets this time from 1921: accidents, fires, wedding reports, obituaries etc. A few new pictures of patients in 1955 at the 'San' have come to light, also photos added to the gallery for Court Estate Players, with names on several, and extra photos in leisure. Little else at present due to illness and house move, but we will resume hopefully in August!
- 01.05.2017 - Again mostly snippets added to exisiting pages, much from 1919. (see note below 08.04.2017)
- 08.04.2017 - This time there is little of note - mostly snippets added to exisiting pages, and additional obituaries etc. One of our team has been off ill for a long time, another is currently away ill, one is awaiting an operation, and one is about to move house, so we are depleted. BUT WORK will continue........ Our two typists are still busy, but processing into web pages may be delayed.
- 23.02.2017 - A second copy of 1933 Intermediate School photo came to us with caption - the first one we had was damaged at the edge and 4 girls were missing, so it has been overwritten. Nothing else of note this time, but lots more newsclips have added to knowledge, including 4 more council meeting reports, 8 obituaries, accidents, court reports, fires, and 4 weddings in the Rushden section, and 16 obituaries for village residents.
- 16.01.2017 - Happy New Year! Yet again thanks to newsclips, 1917, 1944, 1933, updates are in several sections and include 6 more council meeting reports, 11 obituaries, some accidents, and court reports. Some new pictures, also spread across the website, are from the late Colin Bryant's collection, which we have copied courtesty of Rushden Museum.