Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Bridgeford Family

William John Bridgeford (senior) was baptised with his sister Sarah on 16th April 1854 at Rushden, children of James, a shoemaker, and Belinda.

William Bridgeford married Sarah (nee Rice) at St Mary’s church on 23rd September 1873. They had two sons, William, born 1874, and Lancelot born 1877 at Rushden. William was well known in Rushden as a musician and choir master.

band and choir trainer - card

In 1901 the family was living at 24 Midland Road. On Christmas day that year William jun, married Emily Agnes Smith (daughter of Peter), and two years later Lancelot married Nellie Gilbert.

Sarah died tragically in 1904, and William John died in 1914 aged just 59.

memorial card inside the card
William John Bridgeford died on 17th Feb 1914 and he was buried in Rushden Cemetery in grave C465 and his headstone quotes "His long sufferings brought him to a peaceful end. Gone but not forgotten."
His wife Sarah is buried in C665 - "In loving memory of Sarah Ann beloved wife of William John BRIDGEFORD who died January 30th 1904 aged 49 years. Peace perfect peace."

William, junior, and Emily lived at 92 Washbrook-road, and had 4children, Florence, Reginald, Mabel and Ethel by 1911. Also with them was Amelia Magee, a niece, and she had lived with her aunt and uncle from the age of two. Constance Eva was born in 1912 and Raymond in 1918.

William junior Emily William and Emily Emily with Ray Emily
William and Emily Bridgeford were married in 1901. They had five children: Reginald, Mabel, Ethel, Constance Eva, and Ray.
Emily with Ray in 1918
Emily c 1930

Rushden Echo, October 5th 1923, transcribed by Kay Collins

Benefit—Last night a meeting of the committee who arranged the benefit for Mr. W. Bridgeford (who has been ill) was held at the Trades Club, presided over by Mr. H. Travell, supported by the secretary (Mr. F. E. Palmer), the treasurer (Mr. F. J. Harrison), and representatives from the clubs in Rushden. The balance-sheet and auditors; report were presented. It was considered that the result (£26 15s. 9d. net) was very good, and the auditors’ report paid tribute to the able manner in which the secretary and officials had carried out their duties. A vote of thanks to affiliated club delegates for their assistance was passed.


invoice
Tom Swindall's invoice for two passengers to USA 1922

Florence with the Cooch family
Florence with the Cooch family in 1923
Flo before she emigrated to USA
Flo c1921

Florence married Alfred Cooch in 1923 and moved to lived in Ann Arbor, Mitchigan, America.

Flo and her family
The Cooch family: Ray, Alfred, Flo and Alfred junior.


Ethel, Connie and Mabel Ethel, Ray and Connie Mabel
left: Ethel, Connie and Mabel Bridgeford c1922 - right: Mabel
above: Ethel, Ray and Connie Bridgeford c1928

Their niece Amelia Magee was married to Reginald Frank Smith on 17th May 1921, at St Mary's Church.

They had one daughter, Eileen who later married Cliff Iliffe. Eileen looked on William and Emily as her grandparents.

When they celebrated their golden wedding in 1971 Flo returned to visit them.

Frank & Amelia Smith on their Wedding Day 17 May 1921

Reginald Bridgeford married May Smith in 1930.

Reg Bridgeford married May Smith in 1930

The family moved to 9 Tennyson Road, about 1936, where William junior kept a very tidy garden, with some fine blooms.

William in the garden - and the view from the back garden before Tennyson Road houses were built

In 1938 their daughter Connie died.


Ray, Emily and Eileen Smith

Ray & Muriel
Ray Bridgeford as a chorister and as a young man c1938
and his wedding to Muriel Tyas.


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the People & Families index
Click here to e-mail us