Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Rushden Echo, 1st January 1915, transcribed by Gill Hollis
Goddard – Lord

A pretty wedding was solemnised at St. Peter’s Church, Rushden, on Dec. 19, the contracting parties being Miss Rosa Evelyn Lord, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. Lord, of 82, Moor-road, Rushden, and Pte. George Wm. Goddard, of the Wiltshires, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Goddard, of Irchester. The ceremony was conducted by the Rev. P. J. Richards (Vicar). The bride, who was given away by her father, was attired in a white Jap silk dress with bridal veil and orange blossom. She carried a bouquet of lilies of the valley, white carnations, chrysanthemums, and streamers, the gift of the bridegroom. Six bridesmaids were in attendance – Misses Mabel, Elsie, Gladys, and Olive Goddard (sisters of the bridegroom), Olive Lord (sister of the bride), and Masie Hilson (cousin of the bridegroom). Misses Mabel and Elsie wore dresses of pink silk with hats to match, and the remaining bridesmaids were dressed white silk with wreaths round their heads. Each carried a bouquet, the gift of the bridegroom. Mr. George Herbst, friend of the bridegroom, acted as best man. Following the ceremony, a reception was held at the residence of the bride. About 30 guests were present. The presents, which were costly and numerous, included a silver bread fork from Mr. F. C. Gray (schoolmaster, Irchester) and Mrs. Gray.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the People & Families index
Click here to e-mail us