Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Rushden Echo, 28th May 1915, transcribed by Gill Hollis
Abbott - Lewis

MARRIAGE – On Whit-Monday, at St. Mary’s Church, Rushden, the marriage took place of Miss Maud Lewis, third daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Watson Lewis, residing at 65, High-street South, Rushden, to Mr. James Martindale Abbott, of the Court Estate, Rushden. The Rector officiated. The bride, who was given away by her father, was tastefully attired in a dress of cream santoy trimmed with lace and ninon, and a cream leghorn hat trimmed with tulle velvet and roses to match. She carried a shower bouquet consisting of lilies, lilies of the valley, narcissi, carnations, and tuber-roses. The bride was accompanied by three maids, viz., the Misses Ada and Evelyn Lewis (sisters of the bride) and Miss Lily Alderman, Harpenden, (friend of the bride). The two former wore dresses of pale blue cord de chine, and the latter a dress of saxe blue silk eolienne. They wore cream leghorn hats trimmed with pink roses and black velvet, and also wore gold brooches, the gifts of the bridegroom. They carried shower bouquets of lilies, lilies of the valley, narcissi, and pink carnations, also the gifts of the bridegroom. Mr. E. W. Linford, of Baldock, ably carried out the duties of best man. After the ceremony a reception was held at the National School, about 70 guests being present. The presents, which were numerous and costly, included a handsome silver-mounted cut glass rose bowl from the National St. Mary’s Sunday School teachers, with which organisation the bride was associated. An occasional table was received from the Tecnic Boot Company, where the bride was formerly employed.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the People & Families index
Click here to e-mail us