|Rushden Echo May 29th 1914, transcribed by Kay Collins
An interesting wedding was solemnised yesterday at the Park-road Baptist Church, Rushden, by the Rev. H. J. Horn, the contracting parties being Nurse Hartwell, third daughter of Mr. John Clark, sen., of 68 Moor-road, Rushden and Mr. George Harold Ballard, second son of Mr. and Mrs. F. Ballard, of “Clevedon”, Park-road, Kettering, and formerly of Rushden. Both bride and bridegroom are well known in the district, the former in her capacity as a private nurse and the latter as a prominent worker and member of the Finance Committee of the Fuller Baptist Church, Kettering. The bride is also well known at Rochdale, where she carried on her profession before coming to Rushden .
The bride, who was given away by her brother, Mr. John Clark, of Heatherbreea, Wellingborough-road, Rushden, was charmingly gowned in grey satin charmeuse, trimmed with grey ninon over pink with grey and cream shadow lace. She carried a bouquet of pink carnations, lilies of the valley, and asparagus fern.
Miss May Clark (niece of the bride) was bridesmaid, and was tastefully attired in pale blue silk alpaca, trimmed with pink and blue silk. Her bouquet consisted of pink and white sweet peas and asparagus fern.
Mr. William Ballard, of Kettering, officiated as best man.
The hymns “Deign this union to approve” and “O Love divine and golden” were sung in the church, Mr. J. Lindsay Clipson, A.R.C.O., presiding at the organ.
A reception was held at Heatherbreea, the residence of the bride’s brother (Mr. John Clark, jun.) and later in the day Mr. and Mrs. Ballard left for Torquay for the honeymoon. The bride’s travelling costume was of navy blue, with Tagel hat trimmed with satin ribbon and cherries.