Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Rushden Echo & Argus, 6th January 1939, transcribed by Kay Collins
Barker – Green
Miss Joan Green, the second daughter of Mrs Green and the late Mr A E Green, of 2, East Crescent, Rushden, was married on Saturday to Mr George Henry Barker, who is the only son of Mr and Mrs J H Barker, of 26, Oakley-road, Rushden, and is serving as a corporal in the Royal Air Force.

The ceremony was conducted at the Rushden Independent Wesleyan Church by the Rev C. J. Keeler. Given away by her brother-in-law, Mr A E Hales, the bride was attired in white silk lace over satin, with train, veil and silver shoes. She carried a sheaf of Madonna lilies.

Miss Edith Sheila Green (bride’s sister), the only attendant, wore mauve silk lace over taffeta, with a golden Juliet cap, and carried a bouquet of yellow rosebuds. Mr L Curtis acted as best man, and Mr S Weekley, A.T.C.L., was the organist, accompanying the hymns “Lead us Heavenly Father” and “O Perfect Love”.

A reception was held at the “Oakley Arms”, after which Mr and Mrs Barker left to take up residence at 8, Roselyn, Harlescott, Shrewsbury, the bride travelling in a grey coat trimmed with squirrel fur with black accessories. Gifts included a brass companion set from the shoe-room of Messrs Bignell’s, Ltd., where the bride was employed.

Cars were supplied by Messrs Wadsworth Bros.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the People & Families index
Click here to e-mail us