Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Rushden Echo, 20th June 1919, transcribed by Kay Collins
Brown – Gilbert

The wedding took place yesterday at St. Mary’s Church, the Rev. Ion Carroll, Vicar of St. Peter’s, officiating, of Pte. William Brown, R.G.A., eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. G. Brown, of 14 Kimbolton-road, Higham Ferrers, home on leave after two years’ active service in Italy, to Miss Alice Maud Gilbert, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. Gilbert, of 80 Cromwell-road, Rushden.

The bride was given away by her father, who is sexton of the church. She was tastefully dressed in white silk, and wore a veil trimmed with orange blossom and having a silk fringe and silk flowers. She carried a choice bouquet of lilies, roses and carnations. There were four bridesmaids, Misses Florence Newell, cousin of the bridegroom, Ethel and Connie Brown, sisters of the bridegroom, and Violet Line (Earls Barton), cousin of the bride. The first three were attired in champagne silk with Leghorn hats underlined with pale blue. The latter bridesmaids wore a pale blue silk dress with a hat to match. Each carried a bouquet similar to the bride;s and wore a gold bracelet, the gifts of the bridegroom. Miss Violet Line also carried a basket of woodbine with a blue silk ribbon attached. The duties of best man were ably carried out by Mr. Charles Brown, brother of the bridegroom. Mr. J. Enos Smith played suitable wedding music in his usual accomplished style.

After the ceremony, a reception was held at the bride’s home, and a large number of guests were present. The gifts were both numerous and handsome. All the wedding dresses were made by the bride.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the People & Families index
Click here to e-mail us