Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Rushden Echo, 19th August 1910, transcribed by Peter Brown
Butcher – Strachan
Pretty Wedding at Rushden

The marriage took place on Monday, at the Independent Wesleyan Church, Rushden, of Miss Elizabeth Jane Strachan, only daughter of Mr and Mrs John Strachan, of Thistle Cottage, Pemberton Street, Rushden, to Mr William Holland Butcher, of Buckingham, only son of the late Mr Butcher, of Buckingham. Considerable interest was taken in the wedding, both the bride and bridegroom being well-known and highly esteemed in Rushden. The bridegroom resided for four years at Rushden, being at the time a member of the reporting staff of “The Rushden Echo,” and a member of the Park Road Wesleyan Cricket Club. He occupies the position of treasurer of the Buckingham Free Church Choral Union, and is assistant secretary of the Buckingham Brotherhood, besides being a worker in connection with Buckingham Wesleyan Church. The bride, who was a teacher at the National Schools and instructor of the Girls’ Gymnasium class at the Evening Continuation School, has been an ardent worker at the Rushden Independent Wesleyan Church, being one of the Sunday school superintendents and also teacher of the senior class of boys. She has rendered excellent service to numerous worthy causes in the town by her elocutionary powers, being in great demand as a reciter.

The Rev C J Keeler officiated at the wedding. Mr L Clipson presided at the organ and played appropriate music as the congregation assembled. The hymns “O Perfect Love” and “The voice that breathed o’er Eden” were sung, the choir being in attendance.

The bride, who was given away by her father, was prettily costumed in a travelling dress of Saxe blue silk voile, trimmed with silk insertion, and hand-painted hat to match; she wore an ostrich feather boa and her ornament was cream lace and insertion, and hat to match, trimmed with ostrich feathers; she wore a gold curb bracelet, the gift of the bridegroom. The duties of the best man were carried out by Mr Leonard W Hull (cousin of the bridegroom).

As the bridal party left the church Mr Clipson gave a spirited rendering of “The Wedding March.”

After the ceremony a reception was held by the bride’s parents at Thistle Cottage. Mr and Mrs Butcher subsequently drove to Wellingborough and took train for Colwyn Bay, where the honeymoon is being spent.

Many handsome presents were received. Among the presentations to the bride were the following:- Knives and Forks and pair of carvers from the teachers of the National School, Rushden; marble clock, suitably inscribed, from the teachers of the Independent Wesleyan Sunday School; large oak tray from the boys of her Sunday School class; fruit dish and jam dish from the girls of the Gymnasium class at the Rushden Evening School; and several presents from the scholars at the Rushden National School. The bridegroom was presented with a barometer by the Buckingham Free Church Choral Union.

Rushden Echo, 12th August 1910, transcribed by Peter Brown

A Handsome Marble Clock was presented on Sunday last to Miss Elizabeth J. Strachan by the teachers of the Independent Wesleyan Sunday school on the occasion of her approaching marriage. An inscription appears on the clock as follows:— "Presented to E. J. Strachan by the teachers of the Rushden Independent Wesleyan Sunday School on her marriage. August 15, 1910."

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the People & Families index
Click here to e-mail us