Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
The Rushden Echo 6th August 1915, transcribed by Kay Collins
Wedding - Clayton & Brown
At Succoth Baptist Chapel, Rushden, on Saturday the marriage was solemnised of Miss Ethel Mary Brown, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Eber Brown, of 32, Portland-road, Rushden, and Mr. George Henry Clayton, elder son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Clayton, of 92, Queen-street, Rushden. Pastor F. J. Harsant conducted the ceremony. The bride, who was given away by her father, was charmingly costumed in light fawn with hat to match, and she carried a sheaf of lilies. The bridesmaids, Miss May Brown (sister of the bride) and Miss Ruth Sugars (niece), wore dresses of saxe-blue silk and carried bouquets of sweet peas. The duties of best man were ably discharged by Mr F. S. Clayton (brother of the bridegroom). The bride is a member of the Succoth Baptist Chapel choir.

A reception at the bride’s home followed the ceremony and later in the day Mr. and Mrs. Clayton left for Sandbach, Cheshire, for the honeymoon. The wedding gifts which were numerous and useful included a palm stand from the girls of Mr. F. Knight’s closing department, where the bride has been employed, and the bridegroom was also the recipient of a gift from his fellow employees at Messrs. Charles Parker’s factory at Higham Ferrers.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the People & Families index
Click here to e-mail us