Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Rushden Echo, 5th November 1915, transcribed by Gill Hollis
Clayton – Panter

A pretty wedding took place at St. Mary’s Church, Rushden, yesterday, the contracting parties being Miss Edith Ellen Panter, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. Panter, of 120 Wellingborough-road, Rushden, and Mr. Walter Clayton, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Clayton, of 4 Essex-road, Rushden. The ceremony was conducted by the Rector, the Rev. P. Robson.

The bride, who was given away by her father, was effectively costumed in fawn watered silk with a black hat to match. She carried a bouquet of lilies and white heather, the gift of the bridegroom. Two bridesmaids were in attendance – Misses Mabel and Lily Panter (sisters of the bride), and they wore purple costumes and hats of champagne silk trimmed with cerise roses and fur. They carried bouquets of purple heather and chrysanthemums, and wore gold cameo brooches, the gifts of the bridegroom. The duties of best man were discharged by Mr. Bert Clayton (brother of the bridegroom).

Mr. J. E. Smith presided at the organ and played appropriate music as the guests were assembling, and as the bride and bridegroom left the church he played the Wedding March. A reception at the St. John Ambulance Headquarters followed the ceremony, and later in the day Mr. and Mrs. Clayton left for Birmingham for the honeymoon. For travelling the bride wore a grey costume and a white felt hat. She also wore a set of squirrel furs, the gift of the bridegroom. Mr. and Mrs. Clayton were the recipients of a large number of costly and useful wedding presents.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the People & Families index
Click here to e-mail us