Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Rushden Echo, 3rd September 1915, transcribed by Gill Hollis
Fairey – Harris

The marriage was solemnised at St. Peter’s, Rushden, on Saturday, by the Rev. W. Pelham, of Miss May Mary Elizabeth Harris, the only daughter of Mrs. S. Harris, North-street, Rushden, and Pte. John Wm. Fairey, of the Army Service Corps, only son of Mr. Jabes Fairey, 122, Upper Kent-street, Leicester. The bride, who was given away by Mr. Harry Sinfield, wore a white muslin dress trimmed with point ground pillow lace and bridal veil and wreath of orange blossom. She carried a bouquet of Lilium longiflorum, white chrysanthemums, white sweet peas, jessamine and gypsophilia, the gift of the bridegroom. Two bridesmaids were in attendance – Miss Mabel Brittin (friend of the bride) and Miss Phoebe White (cousin of the bridegroom). Both were charmingly attired in white muslin dresses and black picture hats underlined with pink satin. The duties of best man were discharged by Mr. Ben Wilson (cousin of the bridegroom). Subsequent to the ceremony a reception was held at the bride’s home, and on the following day Pte. and Mrs. Fairey left for Leicester for the honeymoon. The numerous wedding gifts included a half a dinner service, a set of ornaments and half-a-dozen tumblers from the girls of Mr. H. W. Chapman’s box factory, where the bride has been employed for over seven years.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the People & Families index
Click here to e-mail us