Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Eric Fowell, 2007
Memorial Garden - Fred Knight

Plan of the garden drawn by the town surveyor Mr Madin
This plan, drawn by Mr Madin, the town surveyor in 1908, was at 1/8th scale.

The cottages that were demolished
Photo believed to be about 1904
The corner & cottages around the garden
Fred Knight lived in the Old Rectory in Little Street. He was a Justice of the Peace, Captain of the Fire Brigade, a member of the Rushden Urban District Council and of the Baptist Church, and a shoe manufacturer with a factory in Park Road.

In 1897 Fred Built a large extension to his house, the part facing the road, somewhat dwarfing the Old Rectory behind. When some stone cottages were demolished opposite his driveway he asked Mr Madin, town surveyor, to draw up plans to put a garden on the site, and this was duly constructed at Mr Knight’s expense. It had an iron railing fence and seats where people would sit and pass the time of day with each other or chat to passers by.

When Mr Knight died in February 1933, his widow Marcia continued to maintain the garden as a memorial to Fred.





His wife,
Elizabeth Marcia Knight
wrote poetry and published this little
book in 1911 entitled “Milestones”




Poem 1901






The Old Rectory in Little Street with the
Memorial Garden in the foreground.
Horses taking Fred Knight on his last journey in 1933

funeral goers firemen lead the way
The crowd leaving the church for the cemetery
The firemen pass Ebenezer Terrace leading the crowd to the cemetery

Note: Only the Wellingtonia tree survives today (2010).

For two more pictures of the garden see No 99 & 100 Co-op Slides


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the People & Families index
Click here to e-mail us