Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

William Beresford Madin
Architect of Rushden's 'Civic Pride' buildings

A civil engineer born in Chesterfield in 1867, he came to Rushden in 1897, with his Scottish wife Louisa Smyttan Robertson (born 1864), and daughter Mary, from Leek in Staffordshire, along with his brother Edwin who was his assistant. Their son Kenneth was born in 1899.

William’s first task was to improve the sanitation for the town. He designed several of the 'Civic Pride' buildings in Rushden, during the period before the First World War. He was an ex-fireman, and designed the fire station in 1902, and it was built by Mr C E Bayes, costing £1,700. It was built in red brick, and enhanced with Bath stone, and Broseley tiles for the roof. Before the station was built the appliances had been kept at farmer Smith’s in High Street South (opposite the Hall Park gates), and then at the Co-op behind the High Street hardware shop. He was the architect for the library in 1905, built by William Packwood, and the Council Buildings in 1906, and he also designed a memorial garden in 1908 for Fred Knight. In the blizzard of 1916 he designed a snow plough, and after it was worn out, did another.

After the war his main task was council housing, starting with King’s Road and Irchester Road.

Louisa died in 1917, and ten years later William was buried in the same grave, B638, in Rushden cemetery, aged just 59 years.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the People & Families index
Click here to e-mail us