Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
1937 from an unidentified newspaper clip
Death of Mr. Arthur Hugh Sartoris

Public Work in Northants
Former  Owner  of  Rushden  Hall
Varied Career of a Great Sportsman

Mr. Arthur Hugh Sartoris, J.P., former Squire of Rushden, died at Howard's House, Cardington, Beds, on Sunday, after a long illness, at the age of 61.

He was a former owner of Rushden Hall, which was acquired by the Urban Council as a, public park, and opened in the autumn of 1930. During his residence at the Hall Mr. Sartoris took a notable part in the public affairs of Rushden, his assistance to charitable organisations being always willingly given, and this happy co-operation between the owner of the ancient house and the town with which his family had long been actively associated continued until 1929, when Mr. and Mrs. Sartoris left the Hall, shortly afterwards taking up residence at Cardington.

During his residence, in Rushden, Mr. Sartoris frequently allowed his grounds to be used for fetes arranged on behalf of local charitable organisations, and during the Great War Red Cross sewing parties were held at the Hall.

About 16 years ago Princess Helena Victoria was his guest, when she visited Rushden to open the present Y.M.C.A. headquarters.

For many years it was the custom of St. Mary's Church Sunday School scholars to march through the Hall grounds on the day of their treat, and Mr. Sartoris, a member of the congregation of St. Mary's, happily continued that pleasant annual event.

Mr. Sartoris's grandfather, Mr. Fredk. Urban Sartoris, J.P., who was High Sheriff of the County in 1856, purchased Rushden Hall in 1844 from the previous occupant, Mr. Harrington-Brown. Mr. Sartoris gave much assistance in the restoration of the neighbouring church at Wymington, and last September he attended the fete there in aid of the Church Schools. He was County councillor for the Rushhden Southern Division from 1922 until 1928 when he retired, and was succeeded by Mr. Arthur Allebone, J.P.

Since leaving Rushden he had shown keen interest in the parish of Cardington and he was the representative of the village on the Beds Rural Council. Howard's House, where he resided, was formerly the residence of the famous philanthropist and prison reformer.

When he was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1902, Mr. Sartoris succeeded in the footsteps of his father, the late Mr. Herbert Sartoris, of Weekley, and his grandfather. Mr. Herbert Sartoris was a Justice of the Peace in the Kettering Division, and the latter's father served as a magistrate in the Wellingborough Division.

Mr. Hugh Sartoris had been the able chairman of one of the rotas of the Wellingborough Bench for some years, and his efficient conduct of the business of the court was notable.

Great Sportsman

Mr. Sartoris had an all-round interest in sport, but mainly in cricket. A vice-president of the Northants County Club, he occasionally turned out for the county, and regularly played for the Club and Ground, of which team he was an extremely valuable member. He had an great liking for Kettering Town club's pretty ground, where on many occasions he lifted the ball out of the ground and on to the railway for a six. He also got teams together on his own account, resulting in many enjoyable fixtures and some excellent cricket played in the highest traditions of the game.

He was president of the Rushden Town Cricket Club for a considerable period before and again after the Great War, and gave generous assistance when the Town sports ground was enlarged on the formation of Rushden Sports Ltd. Mr. Sartoris was also president of the Rushden Town Band.

Angling was another sport in which Mr. Sartoris was keenly interested, and he held numerous offices connected with the sport. He was president of the Rushden, Higham and Irthlingborough Angling Association at the time of his death.

Mr. Sartoris was also known as an excellent shot, with the reputation of being a brilliant marksman, and he rented a large portion of the Boughton Estate for his shoots.    

Mr. Sartoris was an ardent Conservative, being a former president of both the Rushden and Geddington Conservative Associations. He was a member of the executive committees both of the North Northants and East Northants Conservative Associations and was also the correspondent for the Weekley Association. He was a warm supporter of the Boy Scout movement taking an especially' keen interest in the Rushden troops.

Mr. Sartoris's father, and the late Mr. H. J. Preston, were the founders of the Kettering furnaces of the Kettering Iron and Coal Co., and Mr. Hugh Sartoris later became a member of the board.

War Services

Mr. Sartoris held a commission in the Northamptonshire Regiment and saw active service in the South African War. He was formerly a lieutenant in the Northamptonshire Militia, passing into the Northamptonshire Regiment with the rank of captain. He joined the Motor Transport Service for the duration of the Great War.

He married, in 1913, Miss Clara Eva Bridges, daughter of the Rev. T. L. Coulson Bridges and Mrs. Bridges, of Barton Seagrave Rectory, and formerly of Warkton Rectory.

After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Sartoris resided near Whittlebury until they took up residence at Rushden Hall on the death of Mr. Sartoris’s grandmother in September 1913. She was the mother of the Lady Robinson, widow of the Rev. Sir Frederick Laud Robinson, Rector of Cranford.

The widow, Mrs. Clara Sartoris, when her father was Rector of Barton Seagrave, was a great parochial worker, and very well known for her enthusiasm and ability in arranging musical entertainments.

Mr. Sartoris was a great humorist and was not afraid of raising a laugh against himself. Years ago he was in request as a singer, and a few days after the announcement of his engagement to Miss Bridges he sang "Mary Ann" at a Conservative gathering at Boughton House, appearing dressed as a farmer's boy in smock, felt hat, etc.

The first line of that well-known ditty runs: "I never thought much of females till a month or two ago," and the audience, of course, were convulsed with laughter.

Another of Mr. Sartoris's humorous episodes was in connection with the old Northampton Prison, to which he was one of the official visitors, and one day he wrote in the visiting book: "Have today visited gaol. No one wanted to see me."

The funeral is to take place at St. Mary's Church, Weekley, to-day (Thursday), at 2.30 p.m.

Messrs. Ernest Woodcock, Ltd., of Victoria-street, Kettering, have the funeral arrangements in hand.


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the People & Families index
Click here to e-mail us