Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

The Pitt Family

Henry Pitt came to Rushden when the railway station opened. He was born at Ebley Stonehouse, Gloucestershire, in 1865, and married Florence (b1862 Tewkesbury). Their first son William Henry was born in Gloucester in 1885 and a second son Francis in 1887 born at Nuneaton, and six years later Ethel was born at Finedon, just before Henry took up his new post at Rushden Station. Three years later Florence joined the family, and in 1897 Gertrude, both born here in Rushden.

In 1911 the family had moved from the station to Glassbrook Road. Son William joined his father at the railway as a clerk.

The Pitt family c1914
The Pitt Family - c1914
Taken by S Powell Studios, of Wellingborough & Rushden

Stationmaster's house
This house at the end of High Street, was originally built
for the railway as the Stationmaster's residence.
In the 1960s it became the offices of Ellis & Everard.

Rushden Echo, 2nd July 1909, transcribed by Kay Collins

The Degree of Bachelor of Science (first-class) has been obtained at Birmingham University by Mr. Francis Samuel Pitt, son of the M.R. station master at Rushden. Mr. Pitt, B.Sc., who is 21 years of age, gained a County Council scholarship at the Newton-road school and proceeded to Wellingborough Grammar School, where he remained four years. Then he went to the Birmingham University for three years. He will follow the teaching profession.


Rushden Argus, 7th August, 1914, transcribed by John Collins

Railway Appointment—We learn with regret of the removal of Mr Henry Pitt, the courteous stationmaster of Rushden and Higham Ferrers, who has been promoted to the important position of stationmaster at Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. Mr Pitt came to Rushden from Finedon 20 years ago, when the local branch line was first opened. During the time Mr Pitt has been in Rushden the importance of his position had enormously increased, and he has coped with his increasing responsibilities in a manner which has earned him the appreciation of the public and his employers. We hope that he will have good health and even greater success in his important new appointment.

Rushden Echo, 29th January 1915, transcribed by Kay Collins

Pleasing Present at Rushden — Stationmaster Honoured by Local Traders
Last night a pleasing function took place at the office of the Rushden and District Boot and Shoe Manufacturers’ Association, when the members met to show their appreciation of the 21 years’ work of Mr H Pitt as stationmaster at Rushden.

Mr C W Horrell presided, and said that in a town of such commercial importance as Rushden, which was turning out from 75,000 to 80,000 pairs of boots per week, such a gathering was unique, as they were there to make a presentation to their first stationmaster. With no disrespect to Mr Pitt’s successor, the association would have been glad if Mr Pitt’s removal had been even longer deferred. (Applause) On behalf of the association he had the pleasure of presenting to Mr Pitt a gold watch, which represented the goodwill and esteem of the subscribers.

The watch was inscribed: "Presented to Mr Henry Pitt by the members of the Boot and Leather Trades, etc., of Rushden and Higham Ferrers, on his removal from Rushden, October 1914."

Mr Pitt, in response, said that when he came to Rushden he was determined to do his best to give the town satisfaction, and judging from the reception given to him that evening he thought he had succeeded. (Applause) When he came to Rushden, more than 20 years ago, the town was not of such commercial importance as now. The trade had grown by leaps and bounds and when he left Rushden 15 horses were employed in the goods department as against five when he first came. He had watched the development of the town with interest, as he had recognised that the town’s success meant also the success of the M.R.Co.

Ald. Owen Parker, J.P. (Mayor of Higham Ferrers), said that a man more energetic or more loyal to the interests of the company he served could not be found than Mr Pitt. They would not only look back upon Mr Pitt as a personal friend, but as a stern, unbending, and honest servant of his company, and a kind and considerate ervant of the public. (Applause)

Mr J S Clipson, J.P., chairman of the Rushden Urban Council, expressed pleasure at having the opportunity, on behalf of the town of Rushden, of associating himself with the presentation. Rushden would never have a more capable stationmaster than had been Mr Pitt.

Further felicitous speeches were delivered by Mr G H Groome, Mr John Clark and Mr J C Gregory (Mr Pitt’s successor).

The remainder of the evening was spent in social intercourse, and light refreshments were provided.



Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the People & Families index
Click here to e-mail us