Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

P.C. Webster
The Rushden Echo, 18th August 1911, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Rushden Policeman’s Retirement - P.C. Webster’s Long Service - Interesting Events

The end of the present month will bring the retirement from the Rushden police force of P.C. Frederick John Webster at the age of 47 years, after having spent 26 years and four months in the constabulary. The first three years he served in the Northampton Borough Police and was then transferred to the County Police, commencing his duties at Harlestone in the Northampton division, where he remained four years. He then removed to Clipstone in the Little Bowden division, and after three years’ service in that place, was sent to Rothwell in the Kettering division, where he discharged his duties for just over 2 years. For 3½ years he served at Warmington in the Oundle division and then came to Rushden and has remained in Rushden longer than any constable preceeding him, having completed nearly eleven years’ service in the town.

The police force had evidently strong attractions for the male members of Mr. Webster’s family, as he had two brothers in the force. One was Superintendent at Northampton, previous to which he was stationed at Rushden, and the other Inspector at Towcester, upon retirement, and both are now drawing their pension. Mr. Webster’s mother still lives and she resides with him at 106, Glassbrook-road. She is 85 years of age, and is in receipt of her old age pension.

During the time Mr. Webster was stationed at Harlestone in 1891, he was on special duty in connection with the visit of the present Queen, then

Princess Mary

to that place. In 1893 he was sent to Alfreton, Derbyshire, for two months, owing to the great coal strike, and he was also on duty for 5 weeks in connection with the Farthinghoe fires, in the Brackley district. The premises he had been watching were set on fire on the very night he was sent back to his regular station. In 1898 he had the good fortune to be the means of saving the life of the late Dean Ingram, then Dean of Peterborough. The Dean, who was a guest at Lilford Hall, after having visited Aldwinkle flower show, sauntered to a quiet spot on the Nene Bank, and, not knowing the nature of the bank, slipped into the water at a spot where it was from 10 to 12 feet deep. Fortunately P.C. Webster was near at hand and with assistance was able to effect a rescue. Mr. Webster informed our representative that he could thoroughly recommend a policemen’s life, and that he would advise any young man possessed of the necessary qualifications to join the police force, because the conditions of service were improving and would be much better in the future than they had been in the past. Mr. Webster intends to settle in Rushden.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the People & Families index
Click here to e-mail us