Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Rushden Echo & Argus, 4th April 1941, transcribed by Kay Collins
Whiting — Cobley

A pretty wedding took place at the St. Mary's Church, Rushden, on Saturday, when Miss Olive Cobley was married to Mr. Terence Arthur Whiting. The bride is the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Cobley, of 110, Wellingborough-road, Rushden, and the bridegroom, who since the outbreak of war has been serving with the Army, is the eldest son of Mr. and the late Mrs. A. A. Whiting, of Wood Green, N.22.

The bride was given away by her father, and wore a lace dress embroidered with silver, with headdress of camellias. Her sandals were silver, and she had a veil which was lent by her sister-in-law. She carried a sheaf of Easter lilies.

Her two attendants were Miss Barbara Irene Cobley (sister) and Miss Margaret Winifred Wright (cousin). They both wore blue-taffeta and an overdress of net, with blue lace mittens, silver shoes and headdresses. They carried pink carnations and white heather and wore mother-of-pearl crucifixes, gifts of the bridegroom.

The best man was Mr. Laurence H. G. Whiting, of Wood Green, a brother of the bridegroom

The Rector, the Rev. E. A. Green, conducted the ceremony, and the hymns "Lead us, Heavenly Father," and "O Love Divine"' were sung.

Following the wedding a reception was held at the bride's home, after which the happy couple left for an unknown destination, the bride wearing for travelling an Air Force blue coat with accessories to match.

From her fellow workers at Messrs. J. and C. Claridge the bride received a set of Pyrex ware.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the People & Families index
Click here to e-mail us