Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Boot & Shoe Trades Journal, 29th September 1905, courtesy of Northampton Central Library (Local Studies)
John Cave & Sons Ltd
Modern Factory

The new factory in College Street
The new factory in College Street
17 January 1902 - Northampton Mercury

Messrs. Cave and Sons' New Factory
The tender of Messrs. E. Brown and Son, Wellingborough, has been accepted for the building of Messrs. Cave and Sons new factory at Rushden, the contract price being £10,050.

05 September 1902 - Northampton Mercury

The new premises of Messrs. Cave and Sons, Limited, at Rushden, which are to replace those destroyed in the great fire last year, have been pretty well completed, so far as the workshops are concerned, and the employees are now at work, whilst the new offices are being rapidly pushed forward. In connection with the new buildings a big town improvement is being carried out by making a wide street of the College-lane.

Photographs showing the most up-to-date factory of the early 1900s.

In the new factory, the company wisely determined to avoid a many-storied building. Immunity from risk of fire in the factory is secured by a complete brick wall from foundation to roof, the only communications being protected by fire-proof doors. The raw material enters at one end of the factory, and by the time the circuit of the departments is made, it has become converted into footwear, and is packed ready for dispatch. The factory is equipped with all the latest and most up-to-date labour-saving machinery, and has a capacity of from 15,000 to 20,000 pairs per week. The company make their own power-gas, and the works are lighted by electricity.
Clicking Department Closing Department
Clicking Department
Closing Department
making & bottoming dept finishing department
Making and Bottoming Department
Finishing Department
Bottom Cutting Department bottom leather stock room
Bottom Cutting Department
Botom Leather Stock Room
upper leather stock room looking-up and sorting department
Upper Leather Stock Room
Looking-up and Sorting Department

The Engine House
Engine House

the new factory
gates
The new factory in College Street from a postcard

Above the door is a stone plaque:
Registered Offices of
J Cave & Sons Ltd.

Left: detail from the gates with monogram "CS"


Rushden Echo & Argus, 12th October 1906, transcribed by Kay Collins

Presentation
Yesterday, Mr. J. Farey, on behalf of the employees in the welting department of Messrs. J. Cave and Sons Ltd., presented Mr. H. Tye with a case of pipes, as a token of respect, on his leaving his position as foreman of the department to take up a position in Northampton.


Return to John Cave & Sons - Introduction



Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Shoe Trade index
Click here to e-mail us