Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

The Coxton Shoe Company

The factory in Rectory Road - the three bays from left, are the Boot & Shoe School - adjoined in 1928.
It was later used by the NPP Co. (photo 2010)

trade mark letter head
Trade mark (above) 1948 letter head (left)

Mr T W Cox
Mr C J Newton

The Coxton Shoe Co., established in 1912, by Mr T W Cox and Mr C J Newton, on the Rock Estate in Rushden, and in 1914 built a new factory in Rectory Road.

Their early market was across the United Kingdom and the Empire: Australia, Canada, India, New Zealand, and South Africa.


Rushden Echo, 2nd October, 1914, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Increasing Trade - Important Business Developments - New Buildings

The Coxton Shoe Company have purchased the premises in Rectory-road now in possession and occupation of the Central Machinery Company in order to successfully cope with their greatly increased general trade, but more especially the large military contracts secured from the British and French Governments. This acquisition will enable the company to do more than double their present output.

The Central Machinery Co., owing to their constantly increasing business, are erecting at once more commodious premises, on land at the north corner of the Rectory-road and Victoria-road, the contract for which has been let to Mr. R. Marriott, who is commencing building at once. We also understand that the Central Machinery Company have purchased the premises lately occupied by Messrs. George Selwood and Co., in Harborough-road.


Extract from a Military Tribunal in May 1918

Albert John Blackwell, 32, Grade 3, sole cutter on the Revolution press for the Coxton Shoe Co. Exemption for six months and the V.C.T. conditions excused owing to the grade. Mr. Cox said that Blackwell was in hospital as the result of an accident with the press.


-
1958 advert


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Shoe Trade index
Click here to e-mail us