Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

C. G. Cunnington
Currier, etc.
Published in 1891
C. G. Cunnington, Currier, etc.—The largest business in connection with the currying and leather-dressing trade in the town of Rushden is that carried on by Mr. C. G. Cunnington, who has been established about fifteen years, and by consistently turning out thoroughly first-class work and goods has won his present enviable position in the district. The premises comprise offices, warehouses, stockrooms, sorting, washing, and currying workrooms, all of which are conveniently arranged, and afford every requisite facility. In the currying and leather-dressing departments the best-improved machinery and labour-saving appliances are in use, and an adequate staff of experienced hands is employed. Mr. Cunnington continually holds an extensive stock of leather for all purposes, and is thus prepared to meet urgent demands most satisfactorily. His trade extends to all parts of the kingdom, and fit the present time is steadily increasing. In local commercial and industrial circles Mr. Cunnington is greatly respected, and it is admitted on all sides that his success has been thoroughly well deserved.
Charles George Cunnington, a master currier, was employing 9 men & 2 boys, in 1881. He was born at Higham Ferrers and came to Rushden in the early 1870s, when he married a Rushden girl. The factory was off Wellingborough Road in Denton's Lane, and moved to George Street around 1895. His two brothers were shoe manufacturers in a factory on the corner of Crabb Street and Park Road.

1911 letter
A letter from 1911


Cunnington Brothers


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Shoe Trade index
Click here to e-mail us