Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

F Noble - 63 Moor Road
formerly Hewitt & Noble

In 1889 William Hewitt, originally a shoe retailer from London, arrived in Rushden with his wife, their son William jnr. (W F J Hewitt) and his new wife Ellen, and together they bought into the shoe trade, becoming partners in the major shoe company Hewitt and Noble. They bought land at the corner of Wellingborough road and built two houses adjacent to the factory in Glassbrook road. 

In 1896 this factory changed its name to Hewitt & Hewitt, and Fred Noble started trading on his own.

Hewitt & Noble factory
Hewitt & Noble factory, Glassbrook Road, in the 1890's became Hewitt & Hyde until a fire in 1904

Rushden Echo, 1st March 1901, transcribed by Kay Collins

A Presentation was made on Saturday to Miss Annie Bates on her leaving the employ of Mr. F. Noble, Moor-road, after eight years’ service at the factory. The presentation consisted of a beautiful silver tea-pot from the girls; a silver jam spoon and butter knife from Miss Noble; and half-a-dozen dessert knives, one dozen tea spoons, two salts and spoons, two mustard spoons, and one pair of cut glass salts from Mr. and Mrs. Noble.


Mr Fred Noble was made bankrupt in 1902, but carried on trading at 63 Moor Road. In 1908 his son Robert took over the business, trading as F Noble, and he employed his father until 1911, when the firm was once again bankrupted.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Shoe Trade index
Click here to e-mail us