Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

George Skerritt - shoe manufacturer
Junction Irchester, W'boro & Washbrook Roads 1926
Blue: Austin Factory Green: Church Army Hall
Red: Eaton Factory Turquoise: Chamberlain Works
Pink: Skerritt Factory Yellow: T Robinson factory

the factory
The factory in 1984 when Whipple Engineering traded there

George Samuel Skerritt was born in Barnby in Willows, Nottinghamshire, in 1870, son of Thomas and Charlotte Skerritt. He married Karenhappuch Whitehead (born 1873 Liverpool) in 1893, in the West Derby area.

They had moved to Rushden when son George William was born in 1894, and two years later Harry Reginald was born, followed by daughters Amy Elsie, born 1898/9 and Hilda M, born 1901.

Most properties in Sartoris Road were built between 1892 and 1896 so George probably built this factory as soon as he arrived here.

When George junior was admitted to Alfred Street Boys' school on May 1st 1902, from the infant school, his birth date was given as 9th April 1894, but his leaving date is not entered. Harry also attended the Alfred Street schools, and left in February 1909.

In 1901 the family was living at 31 Windmill Road.

George junior returned to Rushden, in 1910, to be best man at a wedding here. He was then living in Birmingham.

George Skerritt 1907
George Skerritt - from a Football Photo 1907

window detail
Window detail from 1895 (in 2006) - replaced in 2009
2006 - Elite Embroiderers
In 2006 Elite Emboiderers

Rushden Argus, 13th December 1912

New Firm—The factory lately occupied by Mr. Amos Cave in Sartoris-road, Rushden, has been taken by Messrs. Davison and Duncan, who will shortly commence business as shoe manufacturers. Mr. Davison has been manager of the Northamptonshire Boot and Shoe Productive Society at Wollaston and prior to that was in the office of Thorps and Co., of Kettering.


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Shoe Trade index
Click here to e-mail us