Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Pecks Transport Ltd - PX

Pecks Transport Company was founded by Arthur Peck at Wollaston, in 1896. In 1913 he moved to Carnegie Street in 1913 and then moved to Washbrook Road in 1927. Much of their work was moving shoes and leather for the local traders. The name was changed to PX Ltd in December 1934.

The company was later acquired by British Road Services (B.R.S.). When that closed the site was taken over by Marriott's who were already trading from the neighbouring site. The site was sold in about 2000 and is where Asda Supermarket now stands.

Seated - F. Roe (PX), I. Clark (W), F. Blake (PX), L. Ward (PX), M. Voisey (W). Standing - H. Ball (PX), T. Nestre (W), Eli Meekins (W), A Gaunt (PX), J Mills (PX).
An early delivery van advertising express services to
Leicester & London

The photograph above was taken just after the general strike of 1926. It shows some of the workmen at PX or Pecks Transport Ltd, together with some of the Wargate Motor Co. men. Note the oil rear lamp and solid tyres. This vehicle, a Leyland, travelled at 12 miles per hour. [picture kindly loaned by Mrs M Smith, daughter of J Mills pictured]

unknown driver
No.2 lorry - Do you know who the driver is, please?

An advert from 1939
An advert from 1939

These eight pictures were kindly loaned by Rushden Historical Transport Society.
No 84 1936
No 61

No 82 1938
No 31 1930s
No 83 1938
No 51

Two more pictures - vehicles 72, 51 & 52 - courtesy of Clive Wood

advertising postcard
An advertising postcard - "incorporating Bert Scroxton & Sons Ltd"
PX Ltd letterhead
PX Ltd letterhead from 1943. Rushden was the head office, with a workshop in Washbrook Road. Branches in London, Leicester, Manchester & Northampton.


Carriers from Trade Directories

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Transport index
Click here to e-mail us