Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Birch Bros.
Notes on Drivers

Rushden Echo & Argus, 25th February 1944, transcribed by Kay Collins

’Bus Hits Bridge - Conductor Injured in Smash Near Wymington
Swerving to avoid a loose horse on the road between Wymington and Podington on Sunday morning, one of Messrs Birch Bros.’ Single decker ’buses, fortunately without passengers, struck the supporting brickwork of a railway bridge and was badly damaged, the conductor being injured.

The ’bus was running from Rushden to Harrold, where it was due to go on service, and the accident occurred at 7a.m., the scene being the second bridge from Wymington, carrying the L.M.S. main passenger line. The near side of the ’bus was smashed and the engine also was damaged.

Seated in the front, Harold Collins, the conductor, of Birch’s Flats, Rushden, had his thigh broken and received cuts on the face. He was taken into Rushden on another ’bus and after attention from Dr Davies was moved to Northampton Hospital. The driver, Edward James Buxton, of 1, Roland-way, Higham Ferrers, escaped unhurt.

Police inquiries were made by P.C. Tingey, of Podington.

Rushden Echo & Argus, 10th March 1944, transcribed by Kay Collins

Boy Cyclist Turned in Front of Bus - Rushden Driver Exonerated at Inquest

At the resumed inquest at Bedford on Monday, Frank Whimhurst, 12 Wentworth-road, Rushden, driver of Messrs Birch Bros. Motor coach which was involved in an accident resulting in the death of a nine-year-old Bedford cyclist, Philip Worrall, was exonerated from blame.

The Coroner said Whimhurst had done everything possible to avoid the accident. The evidence showed that the boy turned suddenly to the off side of the London road.

“I was about 15 ft. behind the boy when he put out his hand to cross the road,” said Whimhurst. “He did not look back but immediately turned. I had no alternative but to swerve with him. I accelerated a bit more to head off but the boy seemed to go faster.”

The accident which happened on February 19th, resulted in sixteen passengers of the coach being taken to hospital and a telephone kiosk was completely demolished.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Transport index
Click here to e-mail us