Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Early Bus services

The Rushden Echo and Argus, 17th April, 1953, transcribed by Gill Hollis
horse drawn 'bus' of 1903
All Aboard For Rushden - Fifty years ago the only means of transport from Irthlingborough station to Rushden was by this horse drawn 'bus' which ran a service several times a day, finishing its run at the Wheatsheaf Inn, where the horses were stabled. For many years Mr. F. Jeeves was the driver until he moved to Cambridge, where he died last week.

Looking with interest at the photographer was Master G. S. Gill, son of the stationmaster. Mr. Gill was the postmaster at Rushden, having recently retired.

The picture belongs to Mr. C. H. Jeeves, of 54, Wymington Road, Rushden, son of the late Mr. F. Jeeves.

Extract from our Memorial page to P Jeeves: The deceased soldier was the son of Mr. Jeeves, who formerly drove the L. and N.W. Railway omnibus from the “Wheatsheaf” to the Irthlingborough old station.

Old W'boro bus old Kettering bus
An old Wellingborough 'bus at Raunds - it called at Rushden,
Higham Ferrers, and Stanwick on its way to Raunds
An old Kettering 'bus at Rushden - it called at Burton Latimer,
Finedon, Irthlingborough and Higham Ferrers on its way to Rushden

The Rushden Echo, 3rd February 1928, transcribed by Kay Collins

A SHOCK was experienced by passengers in a double-deck omnibus on the Irchester road on Saturday night when the front axle snapped. The 'bus was going downhill, but at a slow pace, having just picked up some passengers, and the vehicle remained upright. When it stopped it was found that nobody had suffered anything worse than a shaking.




Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Transport index
Click here to e-mail us