Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
The Rushden Echo and Argus, 5th December, 1941, transcribed by Jim Hollis
Boxing Novices Hit Hard
Plenty of Knock-outs in Rushden Competition

Finals of an Army boxing competition for novices were fought in public at Rushden on Thursday evening, a smartly staged show revealing some promising talent and a general keenness which must have impressed all visitors.

Corpl. Taylor won the middle-weight prize against a plucky opponent, Lance-Corporal Reynolds. Reynolds was caught coming in during the second round and took a short count. He was down again from a fierce attack, but struggled up and roused the house by putting Taylor over with swings to the head before the round ended. In the third round Reynolds was twice down from punches to the head, and the second time was the last.

In the semi-finals Trooper Purton and Lance-Corpl. Reynolds were well matched but rather inaccurate and deficient in pace. Corpl. Taylor, against Trooper Wilson, got well in with right swings after good preparation with his left, and a left hook to the ribs finished Wilson in the second round.

In the light heavyweight final Sergt. Kennedy came out of some early rough-stuff and scored tellingly with a real fighting left. He took a tumble in the second round, and then knocked Trooper Jones to pieces in a few seconds.

Trooper Picken was evidently a specialist in the quick short jab to the heart. He put it in like a flash for an early knock-out against Trooper Maskell in the welterweight final, after using it to win his semi-final.

Maskell and Trooper Cooper were ready for anything in their semi-final, and Cooper was doing knee-drill in a wearing second round. Forceful left and right driving gave Picken quick advantage against Trooper Selby, who was down and out from a short right to the body in the second round.

Game of Chance

The heavyweight final between Trooper Doughty and Trooper Goodman looked like a game of chance until Goodman, taking risks against a far-reaching right, went full out with both hands to the head. Both men went on leave, looking for some wind, in the second round. Goodman had opportunities in the third, but his punches had gone flabby, and Doughty kept on his feet. Goodman won with something to spare.

Trooper Yates cooled off after a vicious opening which looked bad for Trooper Larken in the featherweight final. A straight left to the jaw put Larken over in the third round, and Yates, though a spasmodic sort of boxer, held on to win.

Trooper Cullen opened well in the bantam final, getting briskly inside the longer reach of Trooper Darvelle, who beat the air a lot. Darvelle recovered a bit with some body swings, but Cullen was just too smart for him and won clearly on points.

One of the closest finals was in the lightweights, Trooper Broadhead getting the decision against Trooper Henderson. He had improved on his semi-final form, and showed good style, but the blows on both sides were apt to fall on the gloves.

In the semi-finals Trooper Henderson held the initiative against Trooper Rivers, whose neat left was not quite good enough to cope with the other man’s occasional bursts of forcing stuff. Trooper Broadhead eliminated Trooper McAnaulty.

In a middleweight exhibition, Corpl. Hinde, R.A.F., a “Daily Mail” championship winner and sparring partner to Eddie Phillips, made a considerable impression against Marlow, of the Army.

Prizes were presented by the Lieut.-Colonel, who commended the spirit in which the bouts had been fought, and had a special word of praise for Lance-Corpl. Reynolds. The arrangements were supervised by Lieut. Robb, and ring officials were Referee, Capt. Shepherd; judges Lieut. Bistle and Lieut Bates; timekeeper, Lieut. Mayo.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the War index
Click here to e-mail us