Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Gunner Horace Ayres

86407 Royal Garrison Artillery

Son of Mr Joseph & Mrs Mary A Ayres

Aged 25 years

Died 16th June 1918

Commemorated at Aubigny Communal Cemetery (Extension)
Grave IV. L.28

Born Rushden, enlisted at Northampton. Brother of Agnew, Walter, Victor & William.
From the Burnt Records, Peter Inns & Kay Collins

Son of Joseph & Mary Ann Ayres, ex Police Constable Horace Ayres had a brother and two sisters, and was 26½ years old when he was called-up on 24th May 1916. He enlisted at Northampton and was passed 'fit for general service'.

On 29th September 1916 he left from Southampton for Le Havre, where he joined 132 H Battery in the field on 5th October 1916. He received a gun shot wound to his chest on 15th June 1918, and died the following day at 42 Casualty Collecting Station.

His mother Mary Ann signed for his possessions on 17th October 1918:-
Letters, writing case, scissors, hair clippers, 2 handkerchiefs, soapcase, shaving soap, 2 razors, comb, metal mirror, razor strop, shaving brush & holdall, belt, 2 numerals, photos, pocket book, metal watch & chain, fountain pen, whistle, knife, scissors, combination knife, fork & spoon, 5 keys on ring.

Rushden Echo, June 28th, 1918, transcribed by Greville Watson

Rushden’s Casualty List

Gunner Horace Ayres, R.G.A., whose parents reside in Oswald-road, Rushden, has, we regret to learn, died of wounds received in action. The deceased soldier, up to the time of enlistment in 1915, was a member of the police force, and was stationed at Kettering, and the news of his death in the service of his country has caused much regret throughout the town where he was well known.

The Rushden Echo, 5th July, 1918, transcribed by Jim Hollis

Rushden’s Casualty List

The death from wounds of Gunner Horace Ayres, R.G.A., of 27 Oswald Road, Rushden, as reported in the ‘Rushden Echo’ of June 28th, has now been confirmed by the receipt by his parents of a wire from the Matron of the Casualty Clearing Station in France where Gunner Ayres was taken after receiving his injuries. The Matron states that he passed away on June 16th. The deceased soldier, up to the time of enlistment in 1915, was a member of the Kettering police force, and was highly respected by his colleagues and the people of the town where he was stationed.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the War index
Click here to e-mail us