Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Private George Clark

17721 5th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment

Gravestone E.1609Son of Mr Thomas & Mrs Sarah Clark (nee Litchfield)

Aged 19 years

Died 8th May 1917

Commemorated at Feuchy British Cemetery
Grave II. B.12.
And in Rushden Cemetery
Grave E.1609

Born and enlisted at Rushden.
The Rushden Echo Friday 25 May 1917, transcribed by Nicky Bates

Rushden Soldier's Fate - Private George Clark Reported Missing

Mrs S Clark, of 51 Harborough-road, Rushden, has received news from unofficial source that her son, Pte George Clark, of the Northants Regt. (Pioneers) has been missing from his unit since the morning of May 8th.

The first news that Mrs Clark received was contained in a letter sent to his wife by Trooper Timpson (Northants Yeomanry) of Rushden. Mrs Clark then wrote to her son's commanding officer and received a reply dated May 20th to the effect that Pte Clark was still missing. The officer gave the information that they has been taking their turn in the trenches and whilst moving back, as they were passing some of the British heavy artillery the Germans opened fire on the gun emplacement with heavy stuff, and the unit got scattered, seven being wounded. At a subsequent roll-call all answered with the exception of Pte Clark.

Mrs Clark will be grateful to anyone who can send her any further information concerning her son's fate.

The Rushden Echo Friday 29 June 1917, transcribed by Nicky Bates

Rushden Footballer Killed - Private George Clark - Through the Battle of the Somme - Many Narrow Escapes

Mrs S Clark, of 51 Harborough-road, Rushden, has now received official news confirming the death in action of her youngest son, Pte George Clark, Northants Regt., who was reported missing from his unit as from May 8th, as stated in the "Rushden Echo" at the time.

The information has been received that the late Pte Clark's unit was coming out of the trenches at 4.30 a.m. on May 8th, and as they were proceeding to the back of the line along a light railway, the Germans opened fire upon them, and they were obliged to divide. The main body went to the right of the railway, and a few, including Pte Clark, ran to the left. A shell came over and fell amongst Pte Clark's party, killing him instantaneously, and also a comrade of the R.G.A.

Yesterday morning, Mr Albert Clark, brother of the deceased soldier, received a letter from Pte Coles (Rushden), of the Motor Transport, to say that Pte Clark was buried in the same grave as his comrade of the R.G.A.

The late Pte Clark, who joined up in 1915, after having twice previously offered himself, was 19 years of age. He went to France at the end of June, 1915, and fought all through the Battle of the Somme and several other engagements without a scratch, although he had many narrow escapes.

In August last year he went out on patrol work into "No Man's Land" with an officer and a comrade, and on that occasion the comrade got killed and the officer so severely wounded that he has been in England ever since. Pte Clark escaped uninjured.

Prior to joining the Colours the late Pte Clark was employed by the Central Machinery Company, Rushden. He was for many years a member of the Church Lads' Brigade, and was well known as a footballer, playing for the St Mary's Bible Class and the C.L.B.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the War index
Click here to e-mail us