Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Private Harry Eden

19687 24th Battalion Machine Gun Corps
(Formerly 8902 2nd Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment)

Foster son of John O'Brien

Aged 26 years

Died 6th August 1917

Commemorated at St Sever Cemetery (Extension), Rouen
Grave P.II. F.8A

Born at Grendon, enlisted at Northampton.
The Rushden Echo, 4th December 1914, transcribed by Jim Hollis.

Rushden Soldiers Shelled - Private H. Eden Reports the Death of Private Robinson

“I think we are in for a hard winter,” writes Private H. Eden (Rushden), of the 2nd Northants, in a letter sent home from the front. He continues: “I received parcel and ‘Rushden Echo’ safely. The parcel was in good condition and I must say it is very good of you all. We got shelled on Saturday, Nov. 21st. we had two killed and one wounded. Robinson, of Little-street, Rushden, was one of the two killed. I shall be very glad when this lot’s over!”

Private Eden is the adopted son of Mr. and Mrs. J. O’Brien, of Rushden. His father was a gardener at Castle Ashby. His brother Bernard was recently given a commission for services on the field, but is now unfortunately in a hospital wounded.

Rushden Echo, August 1917

Rushden Victim of the War - Private Harry Eden Killed - A Former C.W.S. Employee

Pte. Harry Eden, the adopted son of Mr. & Mrs. J. O’Brien of 13 Kings Place, Rushden, is, we regret to say, unofficially reported killed. The deceased soldier belonged to the 2nd Northamptonshire Rgt., but about twelve months ago was transferred to a Machine Gun Company. His brother, who was killed at Aubers Ridge, had four days previously been granted a commission in the field. [This was Lieutenant Bernard Eden of the 2nd Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment]

The late Pte. Harry Eden was employed at the C.W.S. boot factory at Rushden until, nine years ago, he joined the army. He would have completed his term of service with the Colours at Christmas, 1915 but for the outbreak of war. He came back to England from Egypt with the 2nd. Northamptons in October 1914, and was almost immediately sent to France, where he had served continuously until his death, having only two brief periods of leave, the last being in May of this year. The deceased soldier was wounded by a shell on August 4th in the stomach and chest, and was removed to hospital in Rouen, where he died on August 7th, being buried the next day in a cemetery at Rouen with military honours. News of his death was sent to Mr. and Mrs. O’Brien by the matron of the military hospital.

When the late Pte. Harry Eden was only five days old his mother died, and two years afterwards came the death of his father, who was a gardener at Castle Ashby under the late Marquis of Northampton. Mr. and Mrs. O’Brien, who were living at Grendon at the time, then adopted young Harry Eden, and when they came to live at Rushden, he, of course, came with them.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the War index
Click here to e-mail us