Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Signaller Reginald Mole

G/21831 10th Battalion Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment

Son of Mr Arthur and Mrs Harriet Mole
Husband of Harriet A

Aged 25 years

Died 12th March 1917

Commemorated at Klein-Vierstraat British Cemetery
Grave I. D.9.

Born at Chellington, enlisted and resided at Rushden.

To Annie, With Love from France, Reg

Just a card to let you know I am alright do not write again until you hear from me.
Remember me to all friends at Rushden. With Love, From Reg XXX

Reg Mole (left) with his siblings

Reginald, Olive, Walter, Rhoda Annie and mother Harriet

His sister Rhoda Annie kept this photograph on display until her death in 1956

Researched and written by Donna Aitken - Great Niece - 2008

Reginald Thomas Mole

Reginald Thomas Mole was born in Chellington, Beds in the summer of 1891. He was the eldest child of Arthur and Harriet Mole and was to have three siblings. The family lived in Carlton, Beds before moving in the mid 1890's to 1, Thrift Cottage, Wellingborough Road Rushden, Northants (now the site of Duck Street car park) as Arthur went into the painting, decorating and plumbing business in the town with his brother Charles.

Unfortunately Reg's father died in 1900 leaving a widow Harriet who was pregnant at the time, Reginald aged just 8 years, Walter 7, and Olive 1 year. Rhoda Annie was born in November 1900.

Times were difficult for the family, but Reg's mother managed to earn an income by taking in laundry from the large houses in Wellingborough Road, and making pillow lace. Reginald attended Alfred Street School, just a short distance from his home. The family were members of the Primitive Methodist Church, just behind them in Fitzwilliam Road.

Reg was employed by Duncan and Davison, shoe manufacturers, Wellingborough Road, Rushden. In the summer of 1914 he married Harriet Annie Tompkins and the couple went to live at 130, Wellingborough Road. They had one daughter Harriet Rose Mole in the spring of 1915.

On October 8th 1915 Reg was recruited into the 8th Northants Regiment - number 20815 and was stationed at Reed Hall Camp, Colchester. He was transferred as a Private to the Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment 10th Battalion - number G/21831, and shipped out to France in the autumn of 1916 as a Signaller. He was in the firing line for nearly seven months when he was killed on March 12th 1917 while proceeding to duty. He was 25 years of age leaving a widow and a daughter just 2 years old.

Reginald received the Victory and British Medals. He is buried at the Klein-Vierstraat British Cemetery Belgium and is also remembered on the Rushden War Memorial.

A Memorial Service was held at the Wellingborough Road War Shrine in June 1917 for those killed in the district and other war victims in the neighbourhood and Reginald's name was read out.

Harriet Mole widow of Reginald re-married in 1925 to Ralph Dickens. They had a son Jim, a half brother to Harriet Rose. The family lived at Park Farm in Irchester Road, Rushden.

Reginald was 1st cousin to Charles Walter Mole who is also listed on Rushden War Memorial.

Some of the above was from reports in The Rushden Echo :-Friday 23rd March 1917 Friday 6th April 1917 Friday 20th April 1917 Friday 15th June 1917

The Rushden Echo Friday 23 March 1917, transcribed by Nicky Bates

Rushden Signaller Killed - One of Captain Stocken's Recruits - Seven Months on the Front

Unofficial news was received by Mrs Mole of 130 Wellingborough-road, Rushden on Saturday that her husband, Signaller R G Mole, Queen's Royal West Surrey Regt., has been killed in action in France. The only news received so far is a brief letter from Sergt. T Dakin, who says that Signaller Mole was "killed while proceeding to duty of March 12th," and, according to information given to him by another signaller, who was in the same place, death was instantaneous. The letter is dated March 13th, evidently being written immediately after Signaller Mole's death, and concludes with the sincere sympathy of the sergeant and the signallers.

Signaller Mole joined Captain Stocken's band of recruits for the 8th Northants Regt., at Rushden on October 8th, 1915, and after nearly twelve months, training went out to France, being transferred to the Royal West Surreys, and into the firing line. He had spent nearly seven months in the firing line without having a scratch, and his death comes as a shock to his many friends. He was formerly employed by Messrs. Duncan & Davison, shoe manufacturers, Rushden. Signaller RG Mole was a son of Mrs Arthur Mole, of Thrift Cottages, Wellingborough-road, Rushden. Mrs Mole has another son, Pte Walter Mole, in the Royal Marine Light Infantry, and twelve months ago he gave an interview to the Rushden Echo, giving a description of the Lusitania outrage being himself a witness on a patrol ship.

The Rushden Echo Friday 6 April 1917, transcribed by Nicky Bates

Rushden Soldier Killed - Signaller Reg Mole - Official News

Mrs Mole of 130 Wellingborough-road, Rushden, has now received official intimation of the fact that her husband, Signaller Reg. Mole, of the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regt., was killed in action on March 12th. Enclosed with the official notice was an expression the sympathy of the King and Queen. The deceased soldier was 23 years of age.

Mrs Reg Mole desires to return her sincere thanks to the many kind friends for their expression of sympathy with her in her great bereavement.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the War index
Click here to e-mail us