Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Private Frederick F Smith

32090 2nd Bn. Northamptonshire Regiment

Pte Fred SmithSon of Mr Robert & Mrs Harriett Smith
Husband of Mrs Ellen Smith

Aged 25 years

Died 30th April 1917

Commemorated at Calais Southern Cemetery
Grave G. 1.12.

Born at Northampton.
The Rushden Echo, Friday 11 May 1917, transcribed by Nicky Bates

Death From Spotted Fever - Private Frederick Smith - Rushden Lady Bereaved

We regret to report that Mrs F Smith, of 3, Sartoris road, Rushden, has received official news that her husband, Pte Frederick Smith, of the Northants Regt., died at Calais from spotted fever (cerebro spinal meningitis) on April 30th. The late Private Smith, who was 25 years of age, was a native of Northampton, and enlisted in January this year. He proceeded to France at the end of March, and was going to the trenches when he was taken ill. The news of his sudden death came as a great shock to his wife, and much sympathy is felt with her in her great sorrow. Deceased leaves one little girl aged two years. Up to the time of joining the colours the late Pte Smith was following his trade as a pressman at Messrs Hawkins Bros., boot manufacturer, Northampton, and on her husband's enlistment his wife returned to her native town, taking a house at Rushden, 3, Sartoris road.

Sister E J Watt, writing from the Isolation camp at Calais, at which Pte Smith was being treated, says: "May 1st. Dear Mrs Smith, -I regret to say we lost your husband late last night. He passed away very peacefully, being unconscious for some time before. Will you please accept my sincere sympathy? I was very fond of Pte Smith as a patient. He was so good and cheerful. He will be buried to-morrow (March 2nd [sic]), with full military honours, in our cemetery here in Calais, where so many of our brave dead lie."

On Wednesday Mrs Smith received the following from Sec.-Lieut and Adj. GA Mark: "I regret to inform you that your husband was admitted to hospital on April 3rd, suffering from cerebro-spinal meningitis, and passed away on April 30th. He was buried on Thursday afternoon in the English cemetery in the Town with all military honours, and his funeral was attended by his friends in the regiment. You have my deepest sympathy in this great trouble, in which all his comrades join."

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the War index
Click here to e-mail us