Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Private Yalden L E Smith

18227 1st Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment

Pte. Y SmithSon of Mr Clarke & Mrs Fanny Smith

Aged 21 years

Died 11th December 1915

Commemorated at Noeux-Les-Mines Communal Cemetery, Pas de Calais
Grave I. F.16.

Born at Kettering, enlisted at Rushden.

Brothers Roland Frank Smith and Monty A Smith.

Evening Telegraph, Saturday 18th December 1915, transcribed by John Collins.

Death of Rushden Soldier

Unofficial information has, we regret to state, been received of the death of Pte. Y. Smith (1st Northants), the second son of Mr. and Mrs. C. Smith, of North-street, Rushden. The sad news was conveyed in a letter sent to the parents by Sergt. Andrew F. Davies, who states that Pte. Smith was taken into hospital with a severe wound caused by shrapnel (received near Loos), and passed away after 30 hours of patient suffering early on Saturday morning, December 11th. His last request was, “Be sure and write to my mother.” He would be buried that day at the British cemetery at Noeux-les Mines, near Bethune.

Pte. Y. Smith was born at Kettering. He enlisted in April last and went to France in September. He formerly worked at Messrs. John Cave and Sons, Ltd., and was a well-known Fosse footballer.

The Rushden Echo, 17th December 1915, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Rushden Soldier Killed - His Brother Wounded - Pte. Y. Smith’s Fatal Injuries
“Be Sure And Write To My Mother” - Pte. M. Smith Recovering

We regret to report that Mr. and Mrs. C. Smith, of North-street, Rushden, have received news from unofficial sources that their second son Pte. Y. Smith, of the 1st Northants, has died from wounds received in action on the Western front. The information is sent by Sergt. Andrew F. Davies (ward-master), who writes under date Dec. 11th as follows:-

“At the request of your son, I was to write and tell you that he had been wounded and was in hospital, but it is with the utmost regret that I have to inform you of the sad news of the death of your son. He had been rather severely wounded with shrapnel on Thursday at Loos and we received him into hospital the same night. For the past 30 hours the doctors were continually at his side, making every effort to prolong his life, but after a deal of suffering he passed peacefully away at 5.55 this (Saturday) morning. His last request was “Be sure and write to my Mother.” He will be buried to-day at the British Cemetery at Noeux-les-Mines, near Bethune. The chaplain will probably be writing to you confirming this. All his property, letters, etc., which include four sixpences stitched on a postcard, will be forwarded to the War Office and then to his home. It is a great consolation and a still greater honour to say ‘He has fought the good fight and now lies with the illustrious dead.’ In conclusion, may I sympathise with you all and all who are stricken with grief at the loss of your son?”

Pte. Y. Smith was born in Kettering. He enlisted on April 26th this year, and was sent to France in September. Up to the time of his fatal wounds he had received no injuries in the war and was in good health.

Up to the time of his enlistment he was an employee of Messrs. John Cave and Sons. He was an enthusiastic footballer and a member of the Rushden Fosse Football Club, holding three silver medals, one with a gold centre awarded him for his skill in the sport.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith’s third son Pte. M. Smith, also of the 1st Northants, was wounded on August 30th, but has now sufficiently recovered to undertake depot duties at the Northampton Barracks. He was struck in the stomach with two pieces of shrapnel, and was kept in hospital in France two weeks before being sent to England when he entered Norwich hospital.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the War index
Click here to e-mail us