The 1947-1969 re-numbering was in answer to the Post Office requesting clarity for the postal deliveries.
These records are not the full collection. The No. was allocated by the council surveyor’s department at the time they were created. Not all documents relating each road are extant.
Before numbering streets, houses were given names, or were simply known by the inhabitant’s surname, e.g. Sanders’ Lodge, Young’s bungalow, Simmons Houses.
Numbering began in the late 1890s, when the town was growing rapidly, and continued along with renaming Places and Yards in 1899.
This Index gives the file number given by the surveyor, the year and the street.
The Street Lists give the date of the change, the present house name or number and the new number. Some also have a list of owners/tenants at the time.
Maps accompany most of these records, with a copy of the letter that was to be sent to each householder informing them of the new numbers. Some have the list of the houses included.
The maps were prepared by the council surveyor, who added the new numbers in red.