Harborough Road, formerly Harborough Park was, in the 19th Century, owned and farmed by the Manning family. The last of the family was Alfred, who sold the 107 acre farm and moved from the Farm House, 61 Litt1e Street, in 1887 to Olney.
One of the oldest buildings to survive in Rushden.
With just a few terraced houses, this street is behind the Farm House and this grass area with footpath into the Barrington Road estate, and on up towards the Bypass and Harborough Field Surgery.
61 Little Street - corner of Harborough Road
Manning Street is just around the corner from the farm
South Side - going up hill
Extract from an obituary: In 1885 Mr Carrington built one of the first houses in the Harborough-road district.
Spinney Cottage 1887
No 2 Harborough Road
Old stone cottages - date unknown
The row of stone cottages - No 20 down to Little Street and Farmhouse
Number 20 is the corner
with Manning Street.
It was once occupied by Mr. Frank Jones who had seven sons, and later by Mr. Garfirth and his son.
This row rising above the factory shows the mix of houses built in this road.
No 70 was occupied by Alfred Stokes in 1901, a shoe factory manager, probably at George Warner's. It was usual to build a house for owner or manager, adjoining a factory as the street was built to house the workers coming in from the outlying villages during the late 19C.
80 is another larger property amongst the cottages, with a bungalow beyond; there are no other bungalows in the road! It is called Pightles View, built in 1901.
A bungalow at 82, then 80 - 70 in a variety of styles
From the bungalow to the top - a variety of cottages with the cemetery gates beyond.
Cars were not invented when this street was built, but many on this side of the road have
a back entrance where several occupiers have now built garages.