Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

23 High Street South

1960s
Old Farm House in the 1960s - called "The Limes"

This Farm House was occupied by John Smith, a butcher in 1881.


The old farm, known in the mid 20th century as Baker's, stands close to the Church. Mr Baker was a cattle dealer. One of his realtives was Miss Fanny Baker, a teacher at Newton Road school in the 1940s, and Ruth Cross (nee Baker) were living here, and called it "The Limes."

July 8th 1914 - George Eady Robinson of Higham Ferrers took on the tenancy of Lodge Farm, from Mary Elizabeth Smith of 23 High Street South, Rushden.

These photos were taken in 2019, after the property had stood empty for a considerable time, and demolition is now threatened in 2021, although some are trying to stop this!

old farm 2019
The old Farm House

two phases of building
old doors
Rear - clearly showing the two phases of the building
The frontage and old doors
end view & barn interior vandalised
End view, with barn facing - the back wall of the barn being
the boundary wall seen in High Street South - the barn
sometime used by the Fire Brigade c1880s
Taken through a barred window - shows what vandals had done whilst the property stood empty awaiting its fate.


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Land, Property & Tax index
Click here to e-mail us