Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Charlie Fathers

1909
With his grandmother c1909
1915
In his scout uniform
Army uniform
In Military Uniform


Charles John Fathers was born on the 10th April 1899, at Willesden, and lived his first few years there. His mother, Maria Fathers married Charles Inyon Fairy in 1900. At Willseden they had five more children.

The family moved to Brackley about 1910. At some time soon after the 1911 census Charles was in Rushden, perhaps in Gordon Street, Rushden, with a relative.

Guild of Goodwill certificate
Guild of Goodwill certificate
for readers of the Children's Corner in the Rushden Argus
Boys' Social League
The Boy of Today is the Citizen of Tomorrow

In 1912 he joined 'The Guild of Goodwill' run by The Rushden Argus newspaper.

Charles joined the Boy Scouts and played in the Bugle Band. He read 'The Boys Journal' and was a member of The Boys Social League.

He was in the army at 16 as a bugle boy. He eventually served with the Kings Royal Rifle Corps in France where he was injured, and he convalesced for a short time at the VAD Hospital in the Parish Rooms, Higham Ferrers.

In 1919 he was back at Eaton's boot factory, but he could not settle and secured work at Marriott's Farm. He was presented with a Clean Milk Certificate in 1927 whilst working there.

certificate
Clean Milk Certificate

Charlie in the farm yard
In Marriott's Farm yard with one of the horses

On the 7th June 1930, at St Barnabas Church, Wellingborough, Charles married Phyllis Watkiss, a 21 year old spinster, of Raunds. Charles was now working as a fishmonger.

Charles and Phyllis had two sons, Ronald and Kenneth. Charles went on to work in the shoetrade and also as a gardener.

Phyllis died in 1996 aged 88 and Charles died in 1998 aged 98. They are buried in Rushden Cemetery.




Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the People & Families index
Click here to e-mail us