Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Joseph Enos Smith

Joseph Enos Smith
Joseph Enos Smith, son of Joseph Smith and Charlotte (nee Clarke), was born at Stanwick on 25th April 1851. He became organist at Souldrop Church.

On his 24th birthday he came to Rushden St Mary's Church, after his duty at Souldrop church, to play for the congregataion. He was confirmed to the post of organist of St Mary's just three days later.

At first he was lodging in High Street, and is listed in the 1881 census as a "Professor of Music, Teacher of Organ, Piano and Harmonium."

On the 2nd June 1887, at the Parish Church, Stanwick, he was married by the Rev. Canon Barker, to Sarah Eleanor, second daughter of the late John Morris, of Stanwick.

They lived at 204 Wellingborough Road.


The advert (below) is undated, but tells he was trading opposite the Argus Office, and the Argus had opened at 30 High Street, in 1889.

About 1903 he moved his business and his home to 22 Church Street, when Course and Hewitt left the premises to move into High Street.

Children outside 22 Church Street watch the
photographer take this for a postcard c1920. Later it became Iliffe's pork butchers shop.

1880s advert
1880s

J Enos Smith held the post of organist at St Mary's Church for over 50 years.

During those years made many notes, between 1908 & 1928, on the history of Rushden, with the intention to write a book.

Wellingborough News, 19th July 1884, transcribed by Kay Collins

Successful Local Competitor—We are pleased to notice that Mr. J. E. Smith, the organist of the Parish Church of this place, has been successful in obtaining the first prize in the competition offered by the Orchestra for the best tune to the well-known hymn, "Hark, hark, my soul."

Wellingborough News, 10th June 1887, transcribed by Kay Collins

SMITH-MORRIS—On the 2nd inst., at the Parish Church, Stanwick, by the Rev. Canon Barker, J. Enos Smith, of Rushden, to Sarah Eleanor, second daughter of the late John Morris, of Stanwick.

Rushden Echo, 3rd July 1925, transcribed by Kay Collins

Congratulations—At a meeting of the Northampton and District Organists’ Association it was decided to send a message of congratulations to Mr J E Smith, of Rushden, on the completion of half-a-century’s service as organist of St Mary’s Church. It was also decided to make Mr Smith an hon. member of the association. In communicating this information to Mr Smith, the Hon. Secretary of the association says: “We wish you continued ability to carry on your splendid work, and trust that many healthful and happy years may be left for you.”


Rushden Echo, 16th January 1931, transcribed by Kay Collins
Dame Durdin
Who they were. The good looking girls on this photograph are identified by Mrs. F. Parker, 72 Moor-road, Rushden, who receives Five Shillings for the following notes: The photograph is a copy of an action song entitled “Dame Durdin,” given by the late Mr. Enos Smith’s Maypole Girls, at his one-time annual May-day festival in the Public Hall. The names of those taking part:

Back row: (l-r): Miss Ciss Childs (now Mrs F Parker, 72 Moor-road, Rushden); Miss Alice Knight (now Mrs. Bayes, of Irthlingboro', now of Bournemouth); Miss Lily Fuller (dau of Mr T Fuller, High-street, Rushden) emigrated, now deceased.

Second row: Miss Ada Adnitt (now Mrs. Woodman, residing near Towcester); Miss Nellie Wright (now Mrs. Charles Webb, Higham-road, Rushden); Miss Nellie Ashby (now Mrs. Leo Claridge, Market Square, Higham Ferrers); Miss Ethel Spavins (now Mrs. Hornsey, North End, Higham Ferrers); Miss Kathleen Smith (late of the old “Pawnshop” which stood where Mr. John White’s factory now stands); Miss Allie Corbett (now Mrs. F. Norman, High-street South, Rushden.

Front row (seated): Miss Jessie Darnell (now Mrs. Stormer, Wellingboro).



Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the People & Families index
Click here to e-mail us