Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Messrs. G. Selwood and Co.


George Selwood, son of John, was born in 1858, in Portsmouth. He came to Rushden about 1880, worked as a clicker and lodged with Thomas Maddock and family in High Street.

On the ninteenth of April 1883 George married Sarah J Maddock at the Old Baptist Church. They had two children, Harry B in 1888 and Grace in 1890. He lived in Park Road in 1891, and was now a manufacturer of boots and shoes. [at 3 Harborough Road in 1901 - the corner with Park Road, so probably the same building?]

The note (below) is written in the front of an old book in which George had written several notes about his business affairs.

Names of Fruit Trees Set in 1893 Oct 28th
No 1
Cox Orange Pippin
No 2
Mere de Menage
No 4
Cellini Pippin
No 5
Green gage
No 6
Victoria plum
No 7
Prince Albert
No 8
Lord Suffield
No 9
Manks Codlin
No 10
New Haw thornden
Written inside the front of an old company ledger book
122
116 Newton Road - Built for George Selwood in 1902
Later his son Harry lived here
His nephew Frank, born in Scotland, had joined the firm as a clerk, and was living with the family.

In 1902 he built a new house in Newton Road.

George died in 1931 aged 73, and Sarah died in 1946 aged 84. They are buried in Rushden cemetery.

Grave F287/88: In ever loving memory of George beloved husband of Sarah Jane SELWOOD who fell asleep December 12th 1931 aged 73 years. The eternal God is our refuge and underneath are the everlasting arms. Also Sarah Jane SELWOOD entered into rest April 13th 1946 aged 84 years. I know that my Redeemer liveth. (vase) ---


Rushden Echo, 20th November 1908, transcribed by Jim Hollis

The Staple Trade at Rushden
  This firm have had plans prepared showing extensive additions to their factory in Harborough-road, but it is not likely that the scheme will be proceeded with, as Messrs. Selwood and Co. are inclined rather to build a spacious new factory on the latest principle.  This latter course, in fact, we have reason to state, would be decided upon forthwith could the firm find either a customer or a tenant for the present factory.  It is certain that the present premises are inadequate for the firm’s growing trade, and the new factory may be settled upon even apart from the selling or letting of the present building.


Rushden Echo, 15th March 1918, transcribed by Kay Collins

Piscatorial—Mr. W. B. Sanders, Mr. G. Selwood, and Capt. Vann, fishing at Radwell yesterday week, caught ten pike in three hours, the aggregate weight being over 40lbs. The largest fish scaled over 10lbs.


Letterhead
A letter head dated 1928 depicting the "spacious new factory" built in 1909

A few pages from the 1938 Catalogue
Established 1888
Tel. Address: Sel-Shar, Rushden

George Selwood & Company

Wholesale and Export Boot and Shoe Manufacturers

Rushden, Northamptonshire, England

"From small acorns big oak trees grow". After 50 years of honest trading we look back with satisfaction upon the fact that from a small shed our business has grown to a large commodious factory, fitted with a plant of the latest up-to-date machinery which enables us to produce Men's and Ladies' Walking and Sports Shoes to suit the eye and pocket and to fit the feet. "We serve the world" is not only our slogan but is a fact. Our export turnover has shown yearly increases since 1921, proving our contention that our products are right for each market.

Here are photographs of a few of our productions selling in the overseas markets.

We thank our many friends the world over for past favours and look forward with confidence for their support in the future.

Yours to serve,
F. J. Sharwood
H. B. Selwood
F. G. Deane

Entrance
The fine doorway
and the Partners in the firm (below)
Directors
Ladies' Spectator Sports Shoes
Mens' Walking Shoes
Ladies' Spectator Sports Shoes
Mens' Walking Shoes
Ladies' Golf Shoes Mens' Spectator Sports Shoes
Ladies' Golf Shoes
Mens' Spectator Sports Shoes
Mens' Fancy Walking Shoes  Men's Golf Shoes
Mens' Fancy Walking Shoes
Men's Golf Shoes

letter
September 15th 1941

Dear Sirs,

Concentration of Production

We have been awarded a Nucleus Certificate jointly with Messrs John Cave & Sons Ltd. of College Street, Rushden, which will enable us to continue trading.

We have to release our own premises, but will you kindly note that we shall retain our own trading name, George Selwood & Company, and our ’phone number – Rushden 24 – merely changing our address from Harborough Road to College Street.

The new arrangement comes into operation on November 2nd.

Yours faithfully
George Selwood & Company
F J Sharwood
H B Selwood
Partners

A letter to their customers in
1941 when their premises were taken over by the RAF.
Later they moved to the Oakley Road factory of Allebone & Sons.

The Rushden Echo and Argus, 25th March 1949, transcribed by Jim Hollis

Fire System Linked to Main
Despite the risk of a large draw-off of water from the tower in the event of fire, Higham Ferrers and Rushden Water Board have agreed to Messrs. Geo. Selwood and Co. Ltd., connecting the sprinkler valve system in their Rushden factory to the new main in Newton Road.

The Surveyor pointed out that there would be a large draw-off in case of fire, though it was unlikely that all the sprinklers would be in operation the whole of the time.

It would be possible for the tower to be emptied in a long period. In any case, the fire service would probably draw off more water than the sprinkler system.


1954 advert
1954 advert - brand name 'Prosanto'
Nu-matic trade mark Nu-matic
1941 Nu-matic trade mark

offices entrance the factory
The frontage of the factory offices built in 1914
Aerial view of the factory shortly before demolition

At the time of demolition (c1995) Belgrade Insulations Ltd. were occupying the premises.





Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Shoe Trade index
Click here to e-mail us