Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page


Brief History of the Village from Kelly's Directory 1910
RINGSTEAD is a parish and large village, on the river Nene, with a station on the Northampton and Peterborough branch of the London and North Western railway, about 1 mile west from the village, which is 2½ miles south from Thrapston and 71 from London, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Higham Ferrers, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Thrapston, rural deanery of Higham Ferrers (second portion), archdeaconry of Oakham and diocese of Peterborough. Sewage works were completed in1905. The church of St. Mary is a building chiefly in the Early English style, with some Decorated portions, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, north and south porches and a western tower with spire containing a clock and 6 bells; the chancel retains sedilia, piscina and an aumbry: the church was thoroughly restored in the year 1863, at a cost of nearly £3,000, under the direction of Mr. William Slater, architect, of Northampton and London. The register dates from the year 1570. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Denford, joint net yearly value ,£200, including 78 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of S. G. Stopford Sackville esq. of Drayton House, and held since 1905 by the Rev. Charles Page Wood M.A. of Jesus College, Oxford, who resides at Denford. The Baptists have had a chapel in this village since the year 1714; the present chapel, erected in 1848 will seat 300 persons; attached are school rooms built in 1887, and holding, with the class rooms and infants' schoolroom, 200 children. The Cemetery, containing one acre with a mortuary chapel, was consecrated in 1893 and is under the control of the Thrapston Rural District Council. There is an estate of 27 acres producing about £43 yearly, which sum is applied to the maintenance of the school and the relief of the poor. The Village Institute, erected in 1908, contains reading and recreation rooms. The Temperance Hall, erected in 1861, at a cost of about £200, is used for lectures, and will hold about 350 persons. Shoe making is carried on here. The trustees of the late Thomas Burton esq. are lords of the manor. George Herbert Capron esq. B.A., J.P. of Southwick Grange, Barnwell Hospital and Sackville George Stopford-Sackville esq. of Drayton House, Lowick, are the princinal landowners. The soil is strong and red land; subsoil, clay, ironstone and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, beans, barley, oats, turnips and roots. There is some good meadow land in the parish. The area is 2,005 acres of land and 16 of water; rateable value, £4,021; the population in 1901 was 928.

Sexton, Amos Weekley.

Post, M. 0. & T. Office.—John Green, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Thrapston at 7.25 a.m. & 1.10 p.m.; dispatched at 9.20 a.m. & 5.25 p.m.; no de­livery on Sundays

Wall Letter Box near the New Inn, cleared at 9.25 a.m. & 5.30 p.m

Assistant Overseer & Clerk to Parish Council, Ernest Cottingham

Public Elementary School (mixed), for Ringstead & Denford, built, with master's residence, in 1867, on a site given by the late George Capron esq. and enlarged in 1874 & again in 1894 at a total cost of about £560; it will hold 203 children; average attendance 193; Thomas Johnson, master; Miss Elizabeth Wilkie, mistress.

Railway Station, Harold James King, station master.

Carriers—Amos Weekley, to Wellingborough. wed.; Kettering, fri.; Thrapston, tues. thurs. & sat.; Lot Weekley, to Thrapston, tues. & sat.; Wellingborough, wed.; bundle, thurs.; Kettering, fri.

Bates Rev. John (Baptist)
Dearlove Mrs. Ringstead cottage

Abbott Elizabeth (Miss), shopkeeper
Abbott Joseph, shopkeeper
Adams Harry Ferndale, insurance agent
Agutter Thomas, farmer
Archer Arthur, New inn
Bailey Harry G., Axe & Compasses P.H.
Bull John, tailor & draper
Bull Ross, butcher
Bull William Samuel, beer retailer
Cemetery (Ernest Cottingham, clerk) 
Charles Robert, dairyman
Childs Thomas, boot dealer
Clark Elijah, wheelwright & carpenter
Cottingham Ernest, assist, overseer,
clerk to cemetery & parish clerk 
Davis Silas, blacksmith 
Dickenson Samuel, farmer, The Lodge 
Distributive Co-operative Society Ltd 
Dunham Frederick, butcher 
Gaunt Henry, cycle agent
Giddings Henry, news agent 
Green John, sub-postmaster & shopkeeper
Green John A. insurance agent 
Institute & Reading Boom (William James, sec)
Knight John Thomas, grazier 
Lovell Edmund A., insurance agent 
Peacock Richard, shopkeeper 
Ratcliff Wm. Knighton, farmer & grazier 
Ringstead Unity Co-operative Soc. Ltd 
Roberts John, pianoforte dealer & tuner 
Robinson William, Swan inn 
Roughton Harold, tobacconist 
Scholes John Joseph, baker 
Smith Joseph W., Insurance agent & town crier
Temperance Hall (John Bull, sec) 
Tilley William John, coal dealer 
Weekley Amos, beer retailer & carrier
Weekley Lot, carrier & cowkeeper 
Wyman Charles, (Mrs.), farmer grazier, Middle field
Wyman Ralph, farmer & grazier, Slade Farm

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the villages index
Click here to e-mail us