Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Second Edition by Francis Whellan & Co., transcribed by Peter Brown 2014
Whellan’s Directory 1874
Village History : Chelveston-cum-Caldecot

Chelveston-cum-Caldecot is bounded by Yelden and Shelton, in Bedfordshire, on the east; Stanwick on the North; the river Nene, which divides it from Irthlingborough, on the west; Higham Ferrers on the south-west, and by Newton Bromshold on the south. It contains 1752 acres, including the hamlet of Caldecot; the rateable value of the parish is £2,300 and the gross estimated rental £2,718. Their united population in 1801 was 266; in 1831, 332; in 1841, 288; in 1851, 402; in 1861, 454 and in 1871, 500 souls.

The soil varies from a strong clay to a light sand and in Caldecot there is some black marl. The principal proprietor is H. C. Wise Esq., lord of the manor of Chelveston, and the manorial rights of Caldecot are exercised by the Fitzwilliam family in virtue of a lease of that manor from the Crown.

Manor—At the time of the Domesday survey, there was 1 hide and 3 virgates of land in Chelvestone and Caldecote, which formed a member of Higham Ferrers manor. In the thirty-second of Henry III (1247), William, Earl of Derby, was lord of the manor of Chelveston. In the first of Edward IV (1461), Chelveston and Caldecot were granted to Anne, Duchess of Exeter, the king’s sister, and it afterwards passed through the several families of Lovell, Somerset, Pickering and Ekins. Sir E C Disbrowe, who decended maternally from the family of Cromwell, succeeded to the Chelveston manor on the demise of his father Colonel Disbrowe, in 1818, and his youngest daughter carried it in marriage to the present possessor, Henry Christopher Wise Esq., in 1863.

The Village is about 2¼ miles E by N of Higham Ferrers, 7½ NE of Wellingborough, 6 S by W from Thrapston, 17½ from Northampton and 2 miles from the Higham Ferrers station (L and NW), which is situated in this parish. Bidwell-water is a small brook, having its source in a spring ¼ mile from the church.

The Church, dedicated to St John the Baptist, is an ancient Perpendicular structure, situated about half way between the village and the hamlet of Caldecot, consisting of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, porch and tower containing 5 bells. The church was restored in 1849, when the north aisle was added, at a cost of £1,000. The tower stands at the east end of the north aisle, in which was placed a new clock in 1868, at a cost of £100, and an organ stands at the east end of the south aisle, purchased about 14 years ago for £150. The east window, of three lights, is of the Decorated style; the west window is Perpendicular, having four lights and the clerestory windows are Early English and remarkably beautiful. In 1872 two marble tablets were placed in the north walls of the chancel, by the Disbrowe family; one is to Sir Edward and Lady Disbrowe, their two sons and daughter; and the other to Mr Andrew Leighton, their late agent. The living is a vicarage, united to that of Higham Ferrers. The tithes were commuted at the enclosure for land.

The School, founded in 1760, was rebuilt by subscription in 1864, at a cost of £853.3s.4d. The site and stone, and a liberal donation in money, were the gift of H C Wise Esq.; and Mrs Wise of Woodcote Hall, Warwickshire, Miss Disbrowe of Walton Hall, Derbyshire and the Rev Alex Dixon, of Higham Ferrers, were also contributors. It is endowed with 23 acres of land, and a dwelling house &c., the annual rent of which is £50.

Almshouses for four persons (2 from Raunds and 2 from this parish) were founded in 1699 by James Sawyer and Thomas his son, and endowed with £42 per annum. The inmates receive 3s. each per week and coals. Neale’s charity consists of 20s. per annum to the poor, and the interest of £20 is given in bread to the poor.

Caldecot is a hamlet containing 3 farmhouses and a few cottages and is siutuate ½ mile from Chelveston.

Post Offce Wall Letter-Box. Letters arrive from Higham Ferrers at 8 a.m. and are delspatched thereto at 5.5 pm.

Carrier – Ephraim Driver, to Wellingborough on Wednesday.

Apthorp East Rev. M.A., curate
Bonfield William victualler, Star & Garter
Bramscombe Samuel shopkeeper
Chettle Hannah (Mrs)
Colson Gideon butcher
Curtis James station master
Driver Ephraim grocer and corn dealer
Eady Enoch schoolmaster
Farrow James grocer
Gray James Moyes land agent
Haseldine William shoemaker
Hornsay John lace dealer
Jellis William blacksmith
Knight William Douglas baker, grocer and beer retailer
Martin Mary (Mrs)
Page Joseph wheelwright
Peacock John parish clerk
Scarborough Robert victualler, Fitzwilliam Arms
Stirman John higgler
Farmers and Graziers  
Britten Thomas  
Browning Benjamin Anwell Lodge
Browning Mary Ann (Mrs)
Eady Roderic and farrier
Gross William  
Jellis Thomas  
Martin Nathaniel  
Martin Thomas  

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to e-mail us