Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Accidents 1920s - 1950s

Rushden Echo, 15th July 1921, transcribed by Kay Collins

ACCIDENT—Last night, about 9.45, whilst cycling down Roberts-street, Mr. H. Baker, of 11, York-road, was thrown heavily from his machine, probably through catching a loose stone. His head struck the ground violently, and he was rendered unconscious. The Band Club Ambulance stretcher was quickly brought by Mr. T. Litchfield and Mr. W. Coleman, but by that time Mr. Baker had recovered consciousness and was able to walk home. This (Friday) morning Mr. Baker attended his doctor's surgery, and the doctor is able to report that the injuries are confined to shock, a large bruise on the right side of the forehead, and cuts on the face and left wrist.

Rushden Echo July 29th 1921, transcribed by Susan Manton

Alarming Accident at Rushden - Knocked down by Motor Bus - Driver’s warning

A painful accident occurred on Tuesday evening resulting in serious internal injuries to Mr. Harry Frankham, of 9, Pratt Road, Rushden. Mr. Frankham, who had cycled right from Hinckley, was riding down Higham Road, and when opposite Kilburn Place, a bus driven by Mr. Wilfred Jolley, overtook him. Apparently Frankham, knowing Jolley, made an attempt to take hold of the bus handle on the near side at the front but Jolley shouted a warning to him not to do so. The next moment, Frankham lost control of his machine and fell underneath the vehicle, the back wheel of which passed over the lower part of Frankham’s body, the passengers feeling a bump.

The bus driver stopped and assistance was quickly obtained. Dr. Crew (Higham) was sent for and an ambulance stretcher was procured. The injured man was conveyed home on Mr. J. Seamark’s four wheel trolley. We understand that no bones were broken, but the sufferer was in great pain for a long time. Dr. Baker is in attendance on the patient.

Rushden Echo, 12th August 1921 , transcribed by Kay Collins

Plate Glass Smash—A plate glass window measuring about twelve feet by twelve feet, in Mr. F. Cowley’s shop, High-street, was smashed into hundreds of pieces on Monday dinner-time by one of a flock of sheep that were passing at the time. “Silly as sheep” seems true as the occasion since the addle-pated animal dashed ferociously at its own reflection, which, with the glass, it completely demolished! The glass was nearly half-an-inch in thickness.

Rushden Echo 16th September 1921, transcribed by Susan Manton

Unlucky Window. Several weeks ago a plate glass window in Mr. F. Cowley’s shop was smashed by sheep and within the past few days the window has been replaced. The new window is cracked from the bottom, two or three feet upwards. The afore-mentioned “addle-pated” muttons are not responsible this time!

Rushden Echo, 26th August 1921, transcribed by Kay Collins

Spilt Milk—A serious accident was narrowly averted in Fitzwilliam-street on Monday morning. Mr. F. Warren’s motor van, containing milk, was being driven down the steep hill when the brakes failed. By very clever driving the car was guided round the sharp bend at the bottom, but with the speed and angle of the turn the front tyre was pulled off and a rear wheel collapsed. A good deal of milk was spilt, but happily no personal injury was done.

Rushden Echo, 26th August 1921, transcribed by Kay Collins

A Serious Accident happened to Mr. Chettle, junr., eldest son of Mr. George Chettle, horse slaughterer. Mr. Chettle was motor-cycling home when the front tyre burst and jammed the wheel, with the result that he was thrown over the handle-bars. He was rendered unconscious, and was found lying on the road by a local motorist, who conveyed him home in his side-car. It was found that his collar-bone was fractured.

Rushden Echo 2nd September 1921, transcribed by Susan Manton

Runaway horse—Tormented by flies, a horse belonging to Messrs. Billingham and Cook, bakers, and attached to their van, dashed from the bottom of Griffith Street, along High Street South on Tuesday morning. Although the animal stumbled and fell on its knees on turning the corner, it got up and raced away. Inspector Hobell pluckily ran into the roadway, faced the horse and stopped it before serious damage was done.

Rushden Echo 30th September 1921, transcribed by Susan Manton

Accident. Through not noticing the approach of a motor, belonging to Mr. B. Coe (of Messrs Green and Coe) driven along High Street by Mr. Barker on Saturday evening, Mrs. Short, aged 70 of 19 Orchard Place, was knocked down in spite of Mr. Barker’s utmost endeavours to avoid her. A wheel passed over her right arm, happily without doing great injuries. The old lady was conveyed home and first aid was rendered by two policemen. Mrs. Short is now able to get about again.

Rushden Echo, 5th May 1922, transcribed by Kay Collins

Accident—Whilst cycling down the Wellingborough-road past Mr. J. C. Clark’s house on Wednesday afternoon, Mr. H. Carter, of Park-road was thrown from his machine through riding into a “pot-hole” as he passed a ’bus. He suffered severe bruises on the right side of his face, his eye narrowly escaping irreparable injury. He is over 70 years of age and was on a journey to see about an Old Age Pension.

The Northampton Mercury, 18th August 1922, transcribed by Kay Collins

Collision—On Friday evening, about 7.15p.m., and unfortunate motoring collision took place at the Post Office corner. Mr Roberts, organ builder, of Ringstead, was driving a motor cycle along High-street in the direction of the Church. At the same time Mr R Heygate was motoring up College-street with the idea of turning into High-street to go in the direction of the Church. Both drivers were proceeding cautiously and at a moderate pace, but a trolley coming up High-street at the time complicated matters, and a collision occurred between the car and the cycle, a collision for which no one was in the slightest to blame. Mr Roberts was thrown off his machine, and was bruised on his side, but the others concerned were not hurt. The wheels of the motor cycle were badly buckled. Mr Heygate motored the two men to Ringstead.

Rushden Echo, 8th June 1923, transcribed by Kay Collins

Serious AccidentMr. W. Maycock, of Sartoris-road, aged about 50, was the unfortunate victim of an accident in which his feet were crushed by a motor-lorry on Saturday. Mr. Maycock, and employee of Mr. Peck, motor carrier, Carnegie-street, Rushden, was with Mr. George Peck, his employer’s son, returning from London on a lorry carrying a two-ton load. Near Hatfield they came up to another lorry-driver, whose motor would not start. The Rushden men tried to help the other by towing his vehicle. Mr. G. Peck was at the steering-wheel of his lorry, and Mr. Maycock was for the time being watching that the tow-rope did not break under the strain. Without warning Mr. Peck, Mr. Maycock ran alongside to climb up into his seat in front. Unluckily, he missed his hold of the rail and fell back, his feet going beneath. Both wheels of the first lorry passed over his feet, and, but for the driver applying the brakes (although he did not know anyone was underneath), the towed lorry would also further have injured Mr. Maycock. The motor having been stopped, the drivers quickly lifted Mr. Maycock from his perilous position. An approaching motor-car was stopped, and in it Mr. Maycock was conveyed to the nearest hospital, where the doctors found that the injuries included smashed toes on the left foot and a crushed ankle on the right. Mr. Peck, having seen Mr. Maycock made as comfortable as possible in the hospital, returned home, reaching Rushden about midnight. Next day he drove Mr. Maycock’s friend to see him, and they were pleased to find that the doctors reported favourably of his progress so far from such serious injury. Mr. Maycock is a native of Bozeat.

Rushden Echo, 22nd June 1923, transcribed by Kay Collins

Serious Accident at Rushden - Cyclist Run Down – Mr. R. Tusting Injured

Mr. Robert Tusting, of 72 Newton-road, Rushden, assistant to Mr. John S. Mason, auctioneer, was the victim of a nasty accident on Saturday, about 4.30p.m., while riding a bicycle from the Bedford-road direction towards the Green. He had got a little past Mr. Okins’s garage, towards the right of the road, when a two-seater motor-car, belonging to and driven by Mr. A. Henderson, leather merchant, Northampton, and having as passengers Mr. F. Wilkins (Rushden) and a Northampton friend, came along from the same direction and caught the bicycle somewhere at the back.

Mr. Tusting was flung with great violence to the ground, the car passing over him. He received a fracture of the right should-blade, a gash through hi right ear, a badly bruised arm, and abrasions of the face and head. The car was pulled up, the occupants and passers-by rendering assistance.

Mr. Bernard Tomkins, who was motoring home from Bedford, stopped and took Mr. Tusting to Dr. Owen’s surgery. After Dr. Owen had dressed the wounds Mr. Tomkins motored Mr. Tusting to his home, where he received further attention from Dr. Muriset.

The bicycle back wheel was practically “folded,” the car appearing to have gone over it midway, and two of the bars of the frame were bent. The car and the occupants escaped all damage and injury. After a comparatively good night, Mr. Tusting had partly recovered from shock, and was progressing in other respects.

Rushden Echo, 22nd June 1923, transcribed by Kay Collins

Motor Damages Railings—Yesterday morning, about nine o’clock, a motor-lorry belonging to Messrs. T. Whitby and Son, standing outside Mr. T. Whitby’s house in Fitzwilliam-street, was left for a moment by the driver. A passing heavy vehicle appeared to have had the effect of releasing the brake, as the lorry ran down the hill, but fortunately in a diagonal direction. It struck the fence in front of Mrs. Harsant’s house, breaking down part of the ironwork and knocking off a few bricks. No other damage was done, and no one was injured.

Rushden Echo, 13th July 1923, transcribed by Kay Collins

Fractured Arm—Yesterday’s fete was attended by one somewhat serious accident. In the Higham-road field the Independent Wesleyan scholars’ sports were in progress, and Lilian Pendered, aged eleven, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. Pendered, of 18 Orchard-place, a competitor in the High-jump, fell on her left arm. The girl’s mother was present, but fearing an accident, she turned away her eyes as the daughter jumped. The premonition was only too well founded, as both bones in the forearm were fractured. Ptes. W. M. Burgess, W. Denton, and C. Boyce, of the St. John Ambulance, rendered first-aid. Miss D. Leeding kindly lent her “bathchair,” in which Lilian was taken to the surgery of Drs. Owen and Davies by Ptes. Burgess and Boyce. Dr. Davies set the limb, and the Ambulance members took the girls to her home.

Rushden Echo, September 7th 1923, transcribed by Kay Collins

Accident—A horse harnessed to a milk-float belonging to Mr. Ackroyd was standing in upper Victoria-road, Rushden, on Saturday morning, facing up the street, when, through a roadman inadvertently catching the horse with his brush handle, the animal turned round and bolted, Mr. Ackroyd’s young daughter being in the float. The horse headed along Rectory-road and collided with one of the Co-operative Society’s bread-vans. The girl was thrown out and suffered a bruised and grazed face, but luckily no worse injuries.

Rushden Echo, 6th February 1925, transcribed by Kay Collins

Accident—Entirely due to the child’s own fault, a little girl, Joan Underwood, was knocked down by a Ford van in Lower Washbrook-road on Saturday morning. The van was being driven down the hill at a safe speed, and the girl, without any warning, ran off the pavement on to the road, directly in front of the motor. The driver swerved and jammed on his brakes, but was unable to avoid the child. The van caught her and rolled her over, but she was lucky to escape with slight bruises and abrasions.

Rushden Echo, 4th September 1925, transcribed by Kay Collins

“Greenstick” (the medical term for the bending as distinct from the actual breaking of a bone) was an injury suffered by Master Harold Wilson, son of Mr and Mrs T Wilson, of Park-road, Rushden, as a result of falling from the “bumper” in Spencer Park on Saturday. The lad had been to the Park to take his cousin, and, swinging on the “bumper,” fell on to his right hand. The arm gave way just above the wrist. He held the injured limb and pluckily walked home. Dr Muriset gave the necessary treatment and put the arm in splints.

The Rushden Echo, 3rd February 1928, transcribed by Kay Collins

A SHOCK was experienced by passengers in a double-deck omnibus on the Irchester road on Saturday night when the front axle snapped. The 'bus was going downhill, but at a slow pace, having just picked up some passengers, and the vehicle remained upright. When it stopped it was found that nobody had suffered anything worse than a shaking.

The Rushden Echo, 3rd February 1928, transcribed by Kay Collins

WHILE Mr. C. Chamberlain, of Wellingborough-road, Rushden, was motoring along the main road near Earls Barton last night, at about 5.30, he slowed down because of the glare of the headlights of an advancing car. Suddenly he felt a bump, and found that his car had struck a couple of horses which were on the road. The lamp of his car and the front glass was smashed, and the wing, generator, and footboard were broken. Happily Mr. Chamberlain escaped injury. Apparently the man in charge of the horses had just left them in order to open a gate.

The Rushden Echo, 10th February 1928, transcribed by Kay Collins

ACCIDENT—While playing in the road outside her home at Bencroft Cottages, Bedford-road, about 5 p.m. on Tuesday, a little girl of about five years of age, Molly Rowthorne, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Rowthorne was knocked down by a motor-cyclist and rather badly injured. Her right leg was frac¬tured, and she received a nasty scalp wound. The sufferer was taken to Northampton Hospital, where it was found necessary to insert three stitches in the scalp wound. Staff-Sergt. Prigmore accompanied the little girl in the motor-ambulance. She is staying at the hospital and is making good progress. The motor-cyclist, who lives at Spalding, was not to blame for the accident, we are told.
Note: If anyone has a picture of the row of cottages, Hearts & Soles would be grateful to take a copy, please.

Rushden Echo, 16th March 1928, transcribed by Kay Collins

Painful Accident—Coming out if her home, 25 Pratt-road, to go across the road, Mrs J G Hardwick caught some snow on her heel and slipped on the pavement on Saturday night, falling on her left wrist. Mrs Hardwick got up herself—there was one about—and entered the bakery of Mr Lenton. Mr Gardam, a neighbour, fetched Mr A W Ablett, of the St John Ambulance Division, who put the wrist in splints and took Mrs Hardwick to Dr McCabe’s surgery, where further attention was given to the injured limb. On Monday an X-rays examination at Northampton Hospital showed an awkward fracture, two bones being broken and a third splintered. Mrs Hardwick is now progressing well.

Rushden Echo, 30th March 1928 Fatal accident - Thomas Sabey Dixon
Rushden Echo, 20th April 1928, transcribed by Kay Collins

Terrible Injuries to Rushden Lad - Lost Control of Bicycle on a Steep Gradient - Dashed Into an Omnibus
The very steep hill at the bottom of Crabb-street, Rushden, was the scene of a terrible accident on Wednesday, just before 6p.m.

A 16-years-old lad, Walter Moon, who lived with his mother (his father is dead) at 36 Crabb-street, was riding his bicycle—a ‘Continental’ racing model with a ‘fixed’ rear wheel—down the lower part of Crabb-street, which has a very steep gradient. He lost control of his machine and was partly round the corner into High-street South, when he collided with a United Counties omnibus coming from the direction of the church. The driver, Mr John Addington, of Finedon, was unable to avoid the collision, although he swerved violently, and the unfortunate cyclist was struck by the ‘bus and thrown with great violence from his machine. The driver of the ‘bus pulled up sharply, but the lad suffered very severe injuries, the base of his skull being fractured.

His wound bled profusely, and the boy lost a lot of blood. Dr Muriset was immediately summoned, but in the meantime Dr Greenfield came along in his car and Dr McCabe also attended. The lad was removed from the road on top the pathway, and here the doctors rendered immediate assistance. Mrs Moon, who hurried to the scene, was overcome at the sight of her boy and had to be assisted to a short distance from the spot to recover. The doctors ordered Moon to be taken to Northampton Hospital, and this was done in the Rushden motor-ambulance. Staff Sergt. A Prigmore and the boy’s older brother accompanied. From the first it was evident that the condition of the boy was precarious, and he did not regain consciousness during the night.

P.S. Roughton and P.C. Howes were soon on the spot and kept back a large crowd that had rapidly assembled, also holding up the traffic along the road.

The injured youth had not had his machine many weeks. He was employed at the C.W.S. boot factory.

At 1p.m. today we were informed that Moon’s condition was unchanged.

Rushden Echo, 22nd June 1928, transcribed by Kay Collins

Accident at CricketMr George Tapp, of 9 Pratt-road, Rushden, was playing cricket for Wymington at Wymington on Saturday, when he suffered a rupture. He was conveyed by a ’bus to Dr Muriset’s surgery, and the doctor ordered his removal to Northampton Hospital. The transport to the hospital was carried out in the Rushden motor-ambulance, under the care of Staff-Sergt. A Pridmore, and an operation was performed on the patient. Mr Tapp is progressing favourably.

Rushden Echo, 13th July 1928, transcribed by Kay Collins

Rushden Boy Badly Injured – Crushed between a Haycart and a Post
Severe internal injuries were sustained by a Rushden boy who was crushed between a haycart and a gate on Tuesday.

Percy Cotton, aged twelve years, son of Mr and Mrs W Cotton, Bencroft Cottages, Bedford-road, Rushden, was staying with his older brother at Teeton Grange, near Northampton. He was leading the haycart, when it toppled against the gate and the boy’s side was jammed against the post.

The boy was treated at the house on Tuesday evening and it was found necessary to remove him on Wednesday evening to Northampton Hospital, where he is in critical condition.

Rushden Echo, Friday, July 13, 1928, transcribed by John Collins

RESCUER AND RESCUED were at one time in danger when Master Claude Blenco, of 10 Woburn-place, Rushden, jumped into the river near Ditchford station on Tuesday afternoon to save a bather who had got into difficulties. A number of youths and men had been in for a time and several left for home, one staying in a little longer. He was thrown off his balance and went into deeper water. When young Blenco got to him the man clutched at Blenco’s bathing costume at the back of the neck, and the two went under the water twice. Fortunately the buttons broke off and the man lost his grip, which was endangering both individuals. Blenco then got a better hold and rescued the man. Both had had a nasty experience and felt queer with the large amount of water they had swallowed. Although help was offered to get the two home, they recovered sufficiently to get home without help.

Rushden Echo and Argus, Friday 4th May 1934, transcribed by Susan Manton

18ft. Fall from Scaffolding - Rushden Man’s Escape
A Rushden Carpenter had a miraculous escape on Tuesday Afternoon, when he lost his balance and fell 18ft. from some scaffolding on to his shoulder, his head striking a heap of bricks. He was Mr. Stanley Shrives of Little Street and he was working on one of the houses Messrs M. M. Drabble are building on the new road near the Masonic Hall. Dr. D. G. Greenfield was called and the man was found to be suffering a badly cut face and bruises but nothing more serious. He was taken home and is making excellent progress.

Rushden Echo & Argus, 27th July 1934, transcribed by Kay Collins

Sportsman Shot in Shoulder - Gun Accidentally Goes Off at Podington
Mr John Henry Reynolds, of Gloucester House, Wymington-road, Rushden, is lying in Northampton Hospital as a result of an alarming shooting accident on Sunday morning.

Mr Reynolds was out shooting early, and soon after 6 o’clock he saw a rabbit on the other side of a hedge near the Forty-Foot on the Wymington-Podington road. He shot it, and as he was fetching it the second barrel discharged, the cocked trigger catching in the hedge.

The shot caused severe injuries to his right shoulder, smashing the shoulder blade and the humerous. He managed to struggle across two fields before he collapsed, and was fortunately found very soon afterwards. He was in a serious condition from loss of blood.

Dr R A McCabe, of Rushden, was called, and after attention Mr Reynolds was taken by ambulance to Northampton Hospital by Sergt A Prigmore.

Yesterday’s inquiry as to Mr Reynolds condition revealed that was now improving very well.

Evening Telegraph, 10th May 1935

Pushed Under 'BusMrs. Ethel Mabel Stock, of 117 Newton-road, Rushden, was injured on Saturday afternoon, when in a rush to board an Eastern National omnibus, when was waiting with about 70 other people, to board the bus at the Station Approach. It appears that when the bus was reversing into the Station Approach from Rectory-road, the crowd made a rush to board it, and in doing so knocked down Mrs. Stock. She fell under the ’bus and had a narrow escape from being run over. Both her ankles were sprained and she suffered from abrasions. Pte. Ashby was soon on the scene and after first aid had been rendered, Mrs. Stock was conveyed home in the new Rushden motor ambulance. The driver of the ’bus was Christopher George Lane, of 7 Wood-street, Higham Ferrers.

Rushden Echo & Argus, 26th February 1937, transcribed by Kay Collins

Knocked Down—Near the junction of Pratt-road and Newton-road an elderly lady, Mrs. Reeves of 40, Pratt-road, was knocked down by a cyclist while crossing the road at about 6 p.m. on Tuesday. She was carried to the Athletic Club, where several people rendered assistance. Dr. Davies was called, and found abrasions and slight concussion.

Rushden Echo & Argus, 25th February 1944, transcribed by Kay Collins

’Bus Hits Bridge - Conductor Injured in Smash Near Wymington
Swerving to avoid a loose horse on the road between Wymington and Podington on Sunday morning, one of Messrs Birch Bros.’ Single decker ’buses, fortunately without passengers, struck the supporting brickwork of a railway bridge and was badly damaged, the conductor being injured.

The ’bus was running from Rushden to Harrold, where it was due to go on service, and the accident occurred at 7a.m., the scene being the second bridge from Wymington, carrying the L.M.S. main passenger line. The near side of the ’bus was smashed and the engine also was damaged.

Seated in the front, Harold Collins, the conductor, of Birch’s Flats, Rushden, had his thigh broken and received cuts on the face. He was taken into Rushden on another ’bus and after attention from Dr Davies was moved to Northampton Hospital. The driver, Edward James Buxton, of 1, Roland-way, Higham Ferrers, escaped unhurt.

Police inquiries were made by P.C. Tingey, of Podington.

Rushden Echo & Argus, 3rd March 1944, transcribed by Kay Collins

Accident—A car belonging to Lord’s Taxi Service, Rushden, was completely wrecked when it came into collision with an American vehicle in Gipsy-lane, Irchester, just before midnight on Sunday. The driver, Mr Albert Frederick Dickenson, of 2b, Milton-street, Higham Ferrers, sustained an injured wrist, one passenger received a cut mouth, and another a cut on the head.

Rushden Echo & Argus, 9th June 1944, transcribed by Kay Collins

Accident— An employee of the L.M.S. railway at Wellingborough, Mr Frank Bouquet (38), of 9, Kings-road, Rushden, was transporting railway lines near the Finedon-road bridge at Wellingborough on Thursday, June 1st, when a wheel slipped, passing over and crushing his left foot. He was attended at a Wellingborough hospital and then taken home.

Rushden Echo and Argus, 20th April 1945, transcribed by Peter Brown

Gun Accident - Rushden Boy Injured in Foot
A 12-years-old Rushden boy, Denis Arthur Marsden, of 75, Washbrook-road, sustained a surface flesh wound at the bottom of his left leg and a wound just below the ankle bone inside the right foot when a bullet was accidentally fired from a rifle by Mr George E. Bull, grinding engineer, on Thursday evening, April 12th.

Mr. Bull was cleaning the rifle on the path outside his workshop in Quorn-road, and Denis Marsden and another boy, Kenneth John Allen (15), were standing near. He placed a cartridge in the breach, and as this was closed the gun fired. The boy cried out that he had been hit. Taken into the workshop, he was attended by Dr Pickard and next was sent to Northampton General Hospital.

Rushden Echo & Argus, 9th January 1948, transcribed by Kay Collins

Policeman Injured
Will the driver of any goods vehicle or anyone who was in the vicinity of the Tecnic Boot Co's factory in the Bedford Road, Rushden, about 5.20 p.m. on Monday communicate with the Rushden police?

Their co-operation is needed to trace the circumstances of an accident in which P.C. Arthur Ellis was seriously injured while on duty.

It is known that a double-decker bus was parked opposite the Tecnic factory waiting to take the workpeople back to Wellingborough. P.C. Ellis was cycling down the Bedford Road on duty, and as he passed the bus was knocked down by a goods vehicle, which, travelling in the same direction, did not stop. It is possible the driver may be unaware of the accident, and it is hoped that anyone who can throw any light on the situation will come forward.

P.C. Ellis, whose home is at 12, Beaconsfield Place, Rushden, was attended by Dr. B. W. Paine and taken by ambulance to Northampton Hospital with a fractured pelvis.

Rushden Echo & Argus, 12th March 1948, transcribed by Kay Collins

Tractor Rescue as Bull Runs Amok
When a two-year-old black and white Friesian bull ran amok and attacked a farmhand at Rectory Farm, Rushden, a young cowman leapt into the seat of a new farm tractor and dashed to the rescue.

The mechanised rescuer was 16-year-old George Makeham, and while he kept the bull at bay another young farmworker, Ronald Manning, aged 20, dragged the man to safety. The injured man, George Annis, aged 57, is now in Northampton Hospital with severe injuries to the body, and his wife told us: "These boys were wonderful; if it was not for them he would not be here now. I don't know how George thought of it so quickly. He is a really brave boy. In a case like that it wants quick thinking, and he is only a lad of 16."

Threw a Rope
Seated on the back of a farm cart, near the farm buildings, George said: "It was out there near the pond, and I was in the yard here. I thought that George had gone out a long while to see to the cows, but could not see anything.

"I went over to have a look and saw him lying in the field with the bull over him pawing the ground. I rushed back into the yard and got the new tractor. Then the other fellow came and got hold of George while I kept the bull at bay. It kept corning back, so I threw a rope at it."

Rushden Echo & Argus, 24th February 1950, transcribed by Kay Collins

Man Hurt by Chimney Pot
Mr. W. W. Lawrence, 42, Wellingborough Road, Higham Ferrers, received slight injuries to the head when he was hit by a chimney pot which fell off the roof of Messrs. Ellis and Everard’s offices at Rushden. After having six stitches put in, Mr. Lawrence was taken home by car.

The Rushden Echo and Argus, 14th July, 1950, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Bus Wrecks Shop Front
Careering backwards out of control, a double-decker bus crossed one of Rushden’s busiest road junctions on Friday, mounted a pavement and crashed into the front of a fruit and sweet store causing extensive damage.

The bus which had been standing empty on the ramp outside the United Counties garage in Newton Road, backed down the slope to Rectory Road. Had it taken a slightly different course it would have gone down the steep incline of Newton Road among the heaviest traffic of the town.

The bus travelled about twenty yards before smashing into Messrs. B. Keller and Son’s corner shop, narrowly missing Mr. Hugh Keller’s car parked outside.

Inside the shop Mr. Hugh Keller and his assistant, Miss Marion Hyde, were unhurt. There were no customers at the time. Mr. Keller told us: “I did not see the bus until it was almost on top of the shop and it was all over before I had realised what was happening.”

The large window was completely shattered, the brickwork beneath, which finally halted the bus, was pushed back in a mass and woodwork near the shop door was split and splintered. The walls of the bedroom above the shop were badly cracked. Broken sweet bottles littered the wrecked window and potatoes covered the pavement where a box had been overturned.

Damage to the bus was also extensive. The back was badly buckled and the platform splintered. All the rear windows were cracked or broken. The bus was removed under its own power after police examination.

Rushden Echo & Argus, 23rd February 1951, transcribed by Kay Collins

Missing man is found in London
A 31-year-old Rushden man, reported missing from his home last Friday morning, was taken into St. Allege's Hospital, Van Brugn Hill, Greenwich, S.E. 10, at midnight on the same day. He was unconscious and had been found in the street with a cut on his forehead.

The news was received by his mother, Mr. Agnes Payne, of 2, Coronation Ave, Rushden, on Tuesday, and she and Mr. Payne's wife from 10, Westfields Place, went to London the same day.

They spent two hours with him and he remembered nothing of what had happened. He had remained unconscious until the Sunday night, and his condition on the Tuesday was described as "comfortable.''

Mr. Payne is well known as a waiter at Rushden Windmill Club. He badly injured a thumb while at work in a shoe factory three weeks ago and had not been working since the accident.

The Rushden Echo and Argus, 30th March, 1951, transcribed by Jim Hollis

Van Overturns at Rushden
A Higham Ferrers and Rushden Water Board van overturned and came to rest upside down in Rushden High Street last Thursday afternoon.

Though the van was extensively damaged, the driver, Mr. Eric Colson, mains superintendent, of Highfield Road, sustained only slight injuries. He received attention on the spot.

Rushden Echo & Argus, 11th July 1954, transcribed by Kay Collins

Crash Driver Charged With Manslaughter
A MAN was fatally injured on the main Bedford-Rushden road, near Knotting Fox, on Tuesday when his motor cycle combination was involved in a collision with car.

The man was Mr. Edward Radon, of the Polish Camp Podington. His wife, sister-in-law, three-year-old son, and three-year-old niece, who were with him, were taken to the south wing of Bedford Hospital. The sister-in-law, Mrs. Janina Radon (23) was detained.

The driver of the car, Mr. James Murdoch Letham (43), an engineer, of Kingsbury, London, was also taken to the hospital.

On Wednesday, Letham was also charged at Bedford with manslaughter and driving while under the influence of drink. He was granted bail in his own recognisance of £100 to appear before Sharnbrook Magistrates on June 18.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Health & Welfare index
Click here to e-mail us