The old school from a postcard c1905 with Master's house (right)
The mixed school in 2010
11 October 1873 - Northampton Mercury
Opening of Higham Ferrers Board School The building contract was let to Mr. John Piggott, of Rushden; the carpentering to Mr. George Smith, of Higham Ferrers; and the slating to Mr. Albert Laughton, who have most ably worked
The school was opened in October 1873, to take 250 children at a cost of £2,500. The first headmaster was W T Robinson and his house adjoined the school buildings. Ninety three pupils were enrolled on the first day, and Miss J Robinson took charge of the infant department with 68 children. In 1887 the school was enlarged, and a separate infant school was added in 1897, and it was again enlarged in 1914, then taking in the master's house. It was now providing 400 places.
By 1901 Lily Agnes Hustwaite (later Tomkins) and two of her brothers, Percy and Edgar were teaching at the school with their father George, who was headmaster from 1884.