At this period the business had grown to such dimensions that it necessitated building a large warehouse at Paddington Green. Here trade continued to increase year by year both in the Home and Foreign Markets, so much so, that after a period of twenty-five yearsduring which time the firm had been converted into a Limited Companythis warehouse proved totally inadequate to hold the enormous stocks necessitated for so large a business. In 1909 it was decided to erect the present palatial warehouse at King's Cross, not only to be located in a more convenient centre for City-buyers but to be more accessible to Provincial friends visiting London.
After all these years of solid growth, it is well known that the house of Lilley and Skinner ranks high as providers of everything needed by the enterprising shoe dealer. The business of the Company is under the control of Mr. Thomas Lilley, grandson of the founder, assisted by the Board of Directors of which he is Chairman. This Company, with its extensive business operations throughout the United Kingdom and large Colonial and Foreign Trade, commenced in a comparatively small way nearly a century ago (1835).
Its founder, Mr. Thomas Lilley, was a Freeman of the City of London, and confined energies mainly to the Metropolis and establishing factories at Wellingborough and Irthlingborough, Northamptonshire.
The late Mr. Thomas Lilley, J.P., succeeded his father in the business, and it was only owing to his foresight and enterprise that the Company's business assumed the extensive proportions in which we find it to-day.
Even the close attention to business matters did not prevent him taking a keen interest in matters appertaining to the trade in general, as well as holding the position of Chairman of the Boot and Shoe Manufacturers’ Association for some considerable period.
In the year 1881, Mr. Thomas Lilley took into partnership Mr. W. Banks Skinner, and the name of the firm was consequently changed to Lilley & Skinner.